Mint 20 beta - How to install chromium-browser.

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint 20 beta - How to install chromium-browser.

Post by smurphos »

clem wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:19 pm
We'll make a team to maintain this, I talked to Xenopeek, I'd like the dev and forums teams to work together on it. The tie to github in the backend also allows the community to participate by creating issues and/or pull requests.
Sounds good - happy to help and test.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I updated the info in the user guide. After testing it turns out chromium-bsu entries need to be defined before chromium ones. I also added warnings.

ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

It's a great shame that there is no archive similar to firefox from which you can simply run the executable file.
Doing that, firefox upgrades automatically in the background when running and then tells you to restart the browser. This is how I run it in Debian 10, to avoid firefox-esr.
It's not perfect but it works.

weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

clem wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:10 pm
I updated the info in the user guide. After testing it turns out chromium-bsu entries need to be defined before chromium ones. I also added warnings.
I think you should consider doing the same approach as Pop!_OS did regarding snap, making chromium-browser a dummy package will make newbies lost. :?

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

weny wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:36 am
I think you should consider doing the same approach as Pop!_OS did regarding snap, making chromium-browser a dummy package will make newbies lost. :?
Whilst it would be nice for Mint to do this even Pop!_OS , a commercially backed outfit with paid developers can't keep up to date with providing security updates to their debian packaged Chromium - they are currently offering Chromium 80 - the current stable release is 83.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:34 am
weny wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:36 am
Whilst it would be nice for Mint to do this even Pop!_OS , a commercially backed outfit with paid developers can't keep up to date with providing security updates to their debian packaged Chromium - they are currently offering Chromium 80 - the current stable release is 83.
I really don't understand, so what do you think would be the best approach? Keep as it is?

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

weny wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:22 am
I really don't understand, so what do you think would be the best approach? Keep as it is?
If Mint were to commit to building and offering Chromium directly they are committing to building and releasing a new update every-time there is an upstream security fix, otherwise they would be doing their users a dis-service. This is not a trivial exercise, it takes significant man-hours, ties up computer resources and I understand in the case of chromium requires more than a passing familiarity with an extensive code base.

My point was that POP, which is a fully commercial outfit with employed developers don't seem to be able to manage this in a timely manner and so are leaving users of their chromium deb subject to unfixed security issues.

To expect the smaller, mostly volunteer based Mint team to do so is likely an unrealistic expectation. The whole reason that Canonical have stopped providing it as a deb package is that they (an even bigger commercial organisation with even more paid developers) found that regularly building a chromium deb for each of their currently supported releases was a huge time-sink.

So whilst I agree that it would be a good approach, I don't see it happening.

weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

smurphos wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:25 am
weny wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:22 am
If Mint were to commit to building and offering Chromium directly they are committing to building and releasing a new update every-time there is an upstream security fix, otherwise they would be doing their users a dis-service. This is not a trivial exercise, it takes significant man-hours, ties up computer resources and I understand in the case of chromium requires more than a passing familiarity with an extensive code base.

My point was that POP, which is a fully commercial outfit with employed developers don't seem to be able to manage this in a timely manner and so are leaving users of their chromium deb subject to unfixed security issues.

To expect the smaller, mostly volunteer based Mint team to do so is likely an unrealistic expectation. The whole reason that Canonical have stopped providing it as a deb package is that they (an even bigger commercial organisation with even more paid developers) found that regularly building a chromium deb for each of their currently supported releases was a huge time-sink.

So whilst I agree that it would be a good approach, I don't see it happening.
I thought Pop!_OS version were updated frequently like a normal deb package. Why is it so hard to keep and distribute Chromium as a deb while Firefox, Opera and even other programs (not browsers) aren't an issue for Canonical and other distros? What about the fact Debian has 4 branches, Stable, Testing, Unstable/SID and Experimental, also the 32-bit versions and they're not lazy (sorry for this word) about distributing Chromium as deb and a big company like Canonical create a lot of excuses for not doing it while other distros are doing, some very small, like Manjaro, Solus, Deepin?! System76, as a revelant company should've been paying more attention to their Chromium version then.

ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

I am using the version of chromium from one of the PPAs mentioned in an earlier post and noted at https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... omium.html, in my case I use the dev version, not the beta.

Opening chromium from either of those PPAs you will see a warning banner at the top of the window regarding missing Google APIs and I have never bothered to do anything about that as looking at the instructions for how to get them it all seems a lot of work for something that matters not a jot to me; I never have any problems running chromium as it comes from either of the PPAs.

Infidelus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infidelus »

I did actually try following the non-googled chrome instructions and and the notes for adding the Google APIs are wrong, or severely out of date. I gave up in the end and went the Debian route, though it does seem really rather buggy and crashes regularly so I may well have to rethink that.

InternetHero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by InternetHero »

Hi guys,

According to the guide, I have added 'Debian Buster' repository and applied the pin preferences. Chromium was installed from Debian sources correctly without issues.

The problem I met relates to the packages which have the same version both in Buster and Focal repositories. In this case APT mistakenly assumes that the package was installed from Buster repo despite that it was installed from Focal.

Take a look at the example of `alien` package:

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy alien

alien:
  Installed: 8.95
  Candidate: 8.95
  Version table:
 *** 8.95 100
          1 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
          1 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     8.95 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe i386 Packages
According to the output above, the package was installed from Buster repository (code 100) and has the same installable version in Focal (code 500).

Now let's reinstall `alien` package:

$ sudo apt remove alien -y

<output of successful deinstallation>

$ sudo apt install alien -t=focal -y

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  alien
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 209 not upgraded.
Need to get 54.5 kB of archives.
After this operation, 170 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 alien all 8.95 [54.5 kB]
Fetched 54.5 kB in 0s (441 kB/s) 
Selecting previously unselected package alien.
(Reading database ... 851891 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../archives/alien_8.95_all.deb ...
Unpacking alien (8.95) ...
Setting up alien (8.95) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) ...
As we can see from the output above, the package was downloaded from Focal repository. Argument -t=focal was not necessary, APT would have downloaded the Focal package even without it.

Note: if I had used sudo apt reinstall alien the package would have been downloaded from Buster.

Now, let's check the policy again:

$ apt-cache policy alien

alien:
  Installed: 8.95
  Candidate: 8.95
  Version table:
 *** 8.95 100
          1 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
          1 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     8.95 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe i386 Packages
It is still shown that the package was downloaded from Buster.

Why is it important?

If such packages are installed in the system, sudo apt upgrade will try to downgrade them on each invokation. But even if you allow downgrading them, it will not change anything because they will be marked as 'installed from Buster'. Thus, next time you run the upgrade, they will be suggested to be downgraded again, so this is the loop.

My knowledge on APT is not as deep as yours, can you guys recommend me something? I have 204 packages which are candidates for downgrading loop :D

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Hi, this should fix apt getting confused about the source of packages that are identical in Focal and Buster.

sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-chromium.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/z-debian-chromium.list

sudo mv /etc/apt/preferences.d/debian-chromium.pref /etc/apt/preferences.d/z-debian-chromium.pref

apt update

InternetHero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by InternetHero »

smurphos wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:31 am
Hi, this should fix apt getting confused about the source of packages that are identical in Focal and Buster.

sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-chromium.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/z-debian-chromium.list

sudo mv /etc/apt/preferences.d/debian-chromium.pref /etc/apt/preferences.d/z-debian-chromium.pref

apt update
Thank you @smurphos, the fix works well! I did use the same trick with preferences file but didn't come up with doing the same with the sources ones! Now everything works like a charm :D

Unirith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Unirith »

pity chrominum is no longer easily managed by the program manager. it pushes to install google chrome, the least restrictive alternative without changing habits.

Return to “Tutorials”