Howto: Install Mint from a USB Pendrive/SD

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
jay

Re: Howto: Install Mint from a USB Pendrive/SD

Post by jay » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:23 am

Hi There ,

im new to mint , i have been a suse user for years , i would like to Boot mint from my USB, but before i go through all the instruction steps , i 'd like to know whether with this installation changes made to the live USb are PERSISTENT ???

HappyFace
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HappyFace » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:49 am

Hi,

this method works great for me. I've tried it with both LinuxMint 4.0 and LinuxMint 4.0 XFCE. I followed it step-by-step and it works just fine.

It even worked with the apt-get install syslinux version...

It just takes a lot of time. That maybe because my Buffalo 8 gb USB stick is slow :(

Keep up the good work!
----
Think big - Shrink to fit!

shinghei
Level 1
Level 1

Got a grub error 17...please help!

Post by shinghei » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:14 pm

I got a grub error 17...Can anyone please help?

I also tried to repair the grub by following http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
No luck!

Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ede » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 am

jay wrote:Hi There ,

im new to mint , i have been a suse user for years , i would like to Boot mint from my USB, but before i go through all the instruction steps , i 'd like to know whether with this installation changes made to the live USb are PERSISTENT ???
No. It's not persistent. I think I wrote that in my OP.
I have yet to figure out how to configure inn a persistent mint-system on a usb-drive.
I'll look into this sort of stuff now that I'm back in the forum. =)

shinghei: You got the grub-error when booting the usb-stick? That's pretty strange, since the usb-stick boots with syslinux, not grub.

Anyway, I will be looking into the possibility of replacing syslinux with grub or lilo.

xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xvedejas » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:32 pm

When I try to use the command "sudo cp -r mint/.* /media/cdrom0" it tries to copy my entire home directory?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:04 am

xvedejas wrote:When I try to use the command "sudo cp -r mint/.* /media/cdrom0" it tries to copy my entire home directory?
What do you expect?
Before you use command line commands learn a little about them
And the result of the above command depends on which folder you are in and if there is something called mint there
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xvedejas » Sun May 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Okay, whatever...

Can anyone help me now? I got it to boot from the USB, and after typing in "live noapic" it begins to boot (I get the linux mint logo and progress bar) and it seems to load all the way...

...but then it goes to a white-text-on-black screen and every few seconds says;

Code: Select all

Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
What does this mean? What did I do wrong? I followed the guide almost exactly, and I used the mint xfce beta .iso file.

jo_3

Post by jo_3 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:34 am

I have a problem with booting from pendrive (Kingston)

I do everything like in guide, step by step.

When I reboot pc with prepared Flash (ldlinux.sys, unpacked by WinRAR iso, changed names of folder and file) last what I see is message:

Could notfing kernel image: linux
Boot: 
pendrive in fat32
I've tried with few ISOs, not only with Mint, that was ma last hope...

I've found also some advices like placing everywhere "vmlinuz" and "initrd", or make another folder "install". I didn't try any.

Please.... HELP... My windows is so horrible... it hangs around 2 times for 45 minutes. I have a stupid habit, when i write something with pen and paper, I involuntary look for ctrl+s... Sick, istn't it? : )

xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xvedejas » Fri May 09, 2008 7:01 pm

jo_3 wrote:I have a problem with booting from pendrive (Kingston)

I do everything like in guide, step by step.

When I reboot pc with prepared Flash (ldlinux.sys, unpacked by WinRAR iso, changed names of folder and file) last what I see is message:

Could notfing kernel image: linux
Boot: 
pendrive in fat32
I've tried with few ISOs, not only with Mint, that was ma last hope...

I've found also some advices like placing everywhere "vmlinuz" and "initrd", or make another folder "install". I didn't try any.
I'm not sure why, but I had this problem too. I redid the entire guide almost exactly and I at least got past that. I think its because I tried doing the partitioning through gparted, that didn't work at all.

xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xvedejas » Sun May 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Okay, I can't tell you how many times I've gone through this guide, I can't get it to work.... It never lets me mount my USB drive, the only way I can is to manually reinsert the drive...

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the only thing I really differed from the guide was that I used a much newer version of syslinux...

Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ede » Mon May 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Please explain, when can it not be mounted? Windows or linux?

Eccentric Iconoclast
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eccentric Iconoclast » Tue May 20, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm trying this guide now with the new beta. I'll get back to you if it works, although if it doesn't it might just be a sign of my own incompetence. :P

Last time I tried using the pendrivelinux tutorial, I got the same error as jo_3. This might work better, I'll know when the file is done extracting and whatnot.

xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xvedejas » Mon May 26, 2008 12:49 pm

Hey EI, It's me (Zoris) hope you get it working... I'm going to try and help a friend get it working now, hope it actually does something...

Ede: In linux mint 5.0 beta.

L@u

Post by L@u » Mon May 26, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi,

I have used your tutorial to install Ubuntu server 8.04, on a PC without a CD-ROM, it worked great ... till the machine complained it could not mount a CD-ROM !
I can not get passed this point ! !

Any ideas, anyone ?

Cheers,
L@u

L@u

Post by L@u » Tue May 27, 2008 3:15 am

Hi again,

Eventually, I manage to get around my problem by going to “Load installer components from CD” option, and choosing the mirror component.
(as described in http://kbullock.ringworld.org/2007/2/2/ ... otherboard).

I also had to mount my USB drive as cdrom as described in
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... omUSBStick

Well, all in all ... it's not as easy as it could be ... but eventually, I have managed to install it ! ;)

Cheers,
L@u

piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:03 am

Awesome howto
Just bought a 1GB sony microvault pendrive for $10 at Target, so I decided to give it a go.

Worked great with Linux Mint 5 revision 1

I did have one problem, though. After install /dev/sdb was being mounted as /media/cdrom0, and my DVD drive was being mounted as /media/cdrom1

The fix was easy though:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
-delete the line for /dev/sdb
-change mount point for /dev/scd0 to /media/cdrom0

Thanks for the tutorial

runnels
Level 1
Level 1

Post by runnels » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:45 pm

I used a method posted in pendrive linux see the following link. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/31 ... m-windows/

I get a perfect flashdrive bootable LIVE CD linux mint 5. I (newbie) think that is where you ended up with your technique also. As is obvious today, mint 5 needs some updates and changes. Is there anyway to get a bootable LIVE CD linux mint 5 that can be updated or one that can be installed to the flash drive in a non-live way, i.e., like a regular install on the hard drive, so that it can be updated and other software can be updated and added (Open Office eg).
Larry

piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:32 am

runnels wrote:I used a method posted in pendrive linux see the following link. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/31 ... m-windows/

I get a perfect flashdrive bootable LIVE CD linux mint 5. I (newbie) think that is where you ended up with your technique also. As is obvious today, mint 5 needs some updates and changes. Is there anyway to get a bootable LIVE CD linux mint 5 that can be updated or one that can be installed to the flash drive in a non-live way, i.e., like a regular install on the hard drive, so that it can be updated and other software can be updated and added (Open Office eg).
Larry

I THINK this is possible, never tried it myself. But you'll need a pretty big flash drive (at least 4 GB, 8 GB preferred)

-Boot from the live cd
-plug in your flash drive
-begin installing. when it gets to the partitioner, make sure you choose to install it on your flash drive (usually /dev/sdb)
-Then at the part where it says something like: "The installer now has all the information it needs, click install to begin installation" choose "Advanced" and I THINK there is an option to choose where to install grub... install grub on the flash drive
-After that, I'm pretty sure you can just boot into a regular installation from the USB device.

Let me know if it works, I'm thinking of trying this out myself

uwepost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uwepost » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:35 pm

I just want to post a big THANKYOU for this HowTo. But it should definitely be copied to the Wiki, because that's the first place I'd search.
In fact, the pendrive method was the only way for me to install Mint on my Notebook, because using the live disk, die installation wizard stalled between step 5 and 6, forever seeking back and forth on the CD. From the pendrive, it installs straightforward, it just takes some time because in fact my Notebook has no harddisk but a CompactFlash drive (using a CF-to-IDE adapter) which is quite slow at writing.

Thanks again
Uwe

hello123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hello123 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:32 am

Thanks, great tutorial...

Return to “Tutorials”