QuickFix: Have Consistent Mouse Pointer in flatpak apps in LM

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
erebus_oneiros
Level 1
Level 1

QuickFix: Have Consistent Mouse Pointer in flatpak apps in LM

Post by erebus_oneiros »

Problem:
I like the concept of flatpak and wanted to move all my "non-critical" software to the flatpak versions. In general, Inconsistent Mouse Pointer shows up in flatpak software as flatpak doesn't have access to the system's pointer styles. I am using the Cinnamon default white pointer style but this is how it shows up in a flatpak app:
I hate this inconsistent pointer/cursor style, as it looks very weird to me. (Had to take photos from my phone as screenshots shows it with the "right" pointer style)

Troubleshooting:
Searching online about this I found out that others have faced similar issues but there wasn't a simple fix in online forums (including on post I found here). So, I submitted an "issue" on one of the flatpak app that I was using. I thought it was a software specific issue as not all flatpaks had that problem. Interacting with the dev I found out that some flatpak software, e.g. LibreOffice and Skype show proper pointer styles, as they implement their own toolkits. e.g. LibreOffice uses its own toolkit that uses gtk (by default), skype uses electron that is based on chromium that uses its own toolkit that uses gtk as well. For the ones which don't have any specific toolkit and use flatpak's default the problem exists.

Fix:
I looked online for the solution with flatpak. This is a known issue with flatpak but finally found a solution:
flatpak/flatpak#709 (comment) -> https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issu ... -741883444
Just run the following commands in a terminal:

Code: Select all

flatpak --user override --filesystem=/home/$USER/.icons/:ro
flatpak --user override --filesystem=/usr/share/icons/:ro
This makes flatpak access the same cursor style as the systems and makes it consistent.
Last edited by SMG on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking old topic.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: QuickFix: Have Consistent Mouse Pointer in flatpak apps in LM

Post by Moonstone Man »

erebus_oneiros wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:35 am This makes flatpak access the same cursor style as the systems and makes it consistent.
I don't use flatpaks or snaps but I think a lot of people will find that very helpful. Well done.
Logan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: QuickFix: Have Consistent Mouse Pointer in flatpak apps in LM

Post by Logan »

erebus_oneiros wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:35 am This makes flatpak access the same cursor style as the systems and makes it consistent.
I registered specifically to thank you for this solution. The inconsistent mouse was driving me nuts!

Return to “Tutorials”