TUTORIAL: Why you should use Firefox ESR

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

TUTORIAL: Why you should use Firefox ESR

Post by Moonstone Man »

Moderator Warning wrote:Kadaitcha Man's tutorial can only be applied successfully on Firefox ESR up to and including version 78.x.
ESNI support has been dropped from Firefox 85.0 and above.
As a consequence, there is no use in trying to follow this tutorial on Firefox ESR 91.x and above
Before applying these instructions, I encourage you to read the thread in full because there are some observations and comments that are valuable, and as a result these instructions have changed several times. In particular, you do not need to install stubby if you only want the browser protected. I've also added a new section at the end for those of us who use VPNs.

The standard Firefox has broken security in that Encrypted SNI (ESNI) is completely broken, and the developers won't fix it based on Mozilla's vapourware implementation of Encrypted Client Hello (ECH). ESNI, Secure DNS, TLS 1.3 and DNSSEC are essential online privacy tools. Now, the only browser to support all four security and privacy techniques is Firefox ESR.

In this tutorial, I will show you how to install Firefox ESR, a stub resolver to provide DNSSEC, and the simple steps needed to configure them and your network connection.

First, install Firefox ESR if you don't already use it, and the DNSSEC stub:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:mozillateam/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install firefox-esr stubby
Now, go here and click the Check My Browser button: Cloudflare. If you get four check marks, you're all set, but if you were all set, you wouldn't be executing these instructions. Anything less than four check marks means your web browsing is far less private than is possible so proceed to the next step.

Next, configure stubby:

xed admin:///etc/stubby/stubby.yml
Search for Cloudfare. You will find these entries:

## Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
#  - address_data: 1.1.1.1
#    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com"
#  - address_data: 1.0.0.1
#    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com"
Remove the first hash in each line so that it looks like this:

# Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
  - address_data: 1.1.1.1
    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com"
  - address_data: 1.0.0.1
    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com"
Save your changes and sudo systemctl restart stubby.

Check everything is ok with sudo systemctl status stubby. The output should look like this:

● stubby.service - DNS Privacy Stub Resolver
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/stubby.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2021-03-05 14:21:34 AEDT; 28min ago
       Docs: https://dnsprivacy.org/wiki/display/DP/DNS+Privacy+Daemon+-+Stubby
   Main PID: 1662 (stubby)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 38347)
     Memory: 21.6M
     CGroup: /system.slice/stubby.service
             └─1662 /usr/bin/stubby

Mar 05 14:21:34 akhenaten systemd[1]: Started DNS Privacy Stub Resolver.
Mar 05 14:21:34 akhenaten stubby[1662]: [03:21:34.489871] STUBBY: Read config from file /etc/stubby/stubby.yml
Mar 05 14:21:34 akhenaten stubby[1662]: [03:21:34.490195] STUBBY: DNSSEC Validation is OFF
Mar 05 14:21:34 akhenaten stubby[1662]: [03:21:34.490200] STUBBY: Transport list is:
Mar 05 14:21:34 akhenaten stubby[1662]: [03:21:34.490201] STUBBY:   - TLS
Mar 05 14:21:34 akhenaten stubby[1662]: [03:21:34.490203] STUBBY: Privacy Usage Profile is Strict (Authentication required)
Mar 05 14:21:34 akhenaten stubby[1662]: [03:21:34.490204] STUBBY: (NOTE a Strict Profile only applies when TLS is the ONLY transport!!)
Mar 05 14:21:34 akhenaten stubby[1662]: [03:21:34.490205] STUBBY: Starting DAEMON....
Next, configure Firefox ESR by going to Preferences and search for the word network.

Screenshot_20210305_145251.jpg

Enable DNS over HTTPS and Cloudflare, which is the default that should be selected.

Next, go to about:config in Firefox ESR and type esni in the search box. Set network.security.esni.enabled to true by double-clicking false, then close your browser.

Next, right-click the connection icon in your system tray and choose Network Setttings. Select your network connection and click the tiny gear icon in the bottom right of the Network window.

First, select the IPv4 tab and disable automatic DNS, then enter 127.0.0.1 in the Server text box:

Screenshot_20210305_150846-1.jpg

That change will cause your machine to use stubby as the DNS resolver for all external traffic when using that particular connection. If you have a wifi and a wired connection and you use both interchangeably, or if you have additional wired connections going to the outside world, you must perform the same procedure on each connection that you want to protect.

Next, set the IPv6 DNS in the same way as you just did above for IPv4 but use 0::1 as the DNS address. Finally, click Apply.

Disconnect your network, wait a few seconds and reconnect it.

This is it, the big test. Open Firefox ESR (make sure you're not opening the standard firefox) and go here then click the Check My Browser button: Cloudflare. If you get this:

Screenshot_20210305_152128.jpg

Success!

If you don't get four check marks, go back over the steps and verify what you've done to find what you missed.

Now you can sudo apt remove --purge firefox.

If you want to learn more, click the Learn More... link below each security feature on the Cloudflare ESNI page.

What you ought to consider next is changing your DNS servers right across your internal network i.e. on your router and on all your machines, which will ensure that all of your internet activity goes through Cloudflare DNS, though it won't all be encrypted and secure unless you're using the method (stubby) above with Firefox ESR or a VPN to protect browser and non-browser traffic, for example, unless you are using a VPN to provide protection, sudo apt update will use DNSSEC but it won't use ether ESNI or Secure DNS because these are features built-in to Firefox ESR, not in apt. At worst, and with a VPN, external sites should only pick up that you are using Cloudflare DNS.

For any other machines, follow the procedure above. For your router, set the following IP addresses as the DNS servers:

For IPv4: 1.1.1.1, and 1.0.0.1 as the fallback.

For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111, and 2606:4700:4700::1001 as the fallback.

You will probably have to reboot your router.

Modifying your router's DNS servers is absolutely essential to preventing DNS leaks because they are usually set to your ISP's DNS resolvers, and you don't want that.

ADDENDUM: For VPN users

In the Windows world, openvpn supports a parameter that blocks outside DNS, block-outside-dns, but this doesn't work in Linux. You need to add a few extra lines to your .ovpn files:

dhcp-option DNS 127.0.0.1
script-security 2
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
The first line assumes that you have installed stubby and have it running. If you're not using stubby then change the DNS to your preferred DNS server IPv4 address.

The second line causes openvpn to allow executables and user-defined scripts to be run.

The third and fourth lines call an Ubuntu script that should already be installed for any Ubuntu-based distribution. For users of non-Ubuntu distributions who find this tutorial from a web search, I'm afraid you're on your own. Perhaps seeking out the script code and modifying it to suit your OS might be required.

After saving your changes, preferably to a different file name so you know that you've edited it, import the modified openvpn and set it as the default VPN to use in Network Manager. You can then head off to https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ and test your configuration.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:56 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Added warning that the tutorial only applies up to Firefox ESR 78.x; it cannot be applied on Firefox ESR 91.x and above any longer.
pasada
Level 2
Level 2

Re: TUTORIAL: Why you should use Firefox ESR

Post by pasada »

Hi Kadaitcha man. I am getting this error message on install -

sudo apt install firefox-esr stubby
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package firefox-esr is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'firefox-esr' has no installation candidate
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

pasada wrote:I am getting this error message on install -
Execute sudo apt update prior to executing the install command.
pasada
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pasada »

OK great thanks - however now when I try and configure stubby with

xed admin:///etc/stubby/stubby.yaml
I receive -

** (xed:25235): WARNING **: 13:57:57.547: The specified location is not mounted 
An error message open up in the editor saying 'could not find file admin:///etc/stubby/stubby.yaml.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

pasada wrote: ... when I try and configure stubby ...
I believe it's: xed admin:///etc/stubby/stubby.yml
pasada
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pasada »

success! Now before I purge firefox.... I notice that this has been installed via PPA. Do i need to maintain this PPA, or will updates be fetched automatically from the repo?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 am Now, go here and click the Check My Browser button: Cloudflare. If you get four check marks, you're all set, but if you were all set, you wouldn't be executing these instructions.
I get for four green checkmarks without using stubby; just
-- use ESR (from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel ... atest-esr/; no ppa added)
-- set about:config network.security.esni.enabled to true in ESR
-- set the DNS server to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 using nm-connection-editor (already had that)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
pasada
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pasada »

Actually Flemur same, I have used the PPA, but I can get also get 4 green checkmarks without using stubby. PPAs will be updated right? I'm new to PPA, as I usually don't install them.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

It's fine tutorial as it recommends to implement important privacy and security measures. Anyway in my opinion it is not optimal to use DoH instead of DoT because of ESNI. Only about 6 per cent websites supoort ESNI. linuxmint.com does not support ESNI, forums.linuxmint.com does not support ESNI, I found only a pair of websites I frequent which support it. Of course ESNI here is a feature working only on the application level and you can create another browser profile which will be acting on your network enabled DOT due to the installed stubby resolver.
-=t42=-
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Flemur wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:52 am I get for four green checkmarks without using stubby
That's correct, modification of the ESR browser settings is enough to pass a Cloudfare test page, if your router or network manager points to compatible DNS server.
I think OP should clarify that in this tutorial is described two related but independent things - setting network DOT mode on the OS level and opening a browser session in DOH mode with ESNI support.
-=t42=-
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

t42 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:25 pm modification of the ESR browser settings is enough to pass a Cloudfare test page, if your router or network manager points to compatible DNS server.
Just to confirm my previous comment: screenshot of Linux Mint USB live session with downloaded ESR from 78.8.0esr and two described above modifications of browser settings:
S2021-03-09.png
-=t42=-
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 am The standard Firefox has broken security in that Encrypted SNI (ESNI) is completely broken, and the developers won't fix it based on Mozilla's vapourware implementation of Encrypted Client Hello (ECH). ESNI, Secure DNS, TLS 1.3 and DNSSEC are essential online privacy tools. Now, the only browser to support all four security and privacy techniques is Firefox ESR.
Won't this issue eventually make it into the ESR version?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Schultz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:26 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 am The standard Firefox has broken security in that Encrypted SNI (ESNI) is completely broken, and the developers won't fix it based on Mozilla's vapourware implementation of Encrypted Client Hello (ECH). ESNI, Secure DNS, TLS 1.3 and DNSSEC are essential online privacy tools. Now, the only browser to support all four security and privacy techniques is Firefox ESR.
Won't this issue eventually make it into the ESR version?
It's highly doubtful. ESR gets security updates but rarely gets fundamental updates to the base.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Read through all the posts about Firefox ESR and decided to install it but "the horse fell at the first post":-) Here is the error message.

$ sudo apt install firefox-esr stubby
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package firefox-esr is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'firefox-esr' has no installation candidate
Any advice appreciated, please?
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

pasada wrote: Do i need to maintain this PPA, or will updates be fetched automatically from the repo?
So long as the PPA remains in your Software Sources, and is maintained by its maintainers, you should receive whatever updates are made to it.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:38 pm It's highly doubtful. ESR gets security updates but rarely gets fundamental updates to the base.
Yeah, but what about when the ESR version reaches version 86 or higher?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Schultz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:14 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:38 pm It's highly doubtful. ESR gets security updates but rarely gets fundamental updates to the base.
Yeah, but what about when the ESR version reaches version 86 or higher?
That's irrelevant. The version number of ESR has nothing to do with the version number of standard FF, which is a completely separate application with its own version numbering.
pasada
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pasada »

So long as the PPA remains in your Software Sources, and is maintained by its maintainers, you should receive whatever updates are made to it.
Thankyou
Thankyou also to Kadaitcha Man for this tutorial, much appreciated. I've gone ahead and changed DNS setting for devices and router as well. I'm using that in conjunction with a VPN that I've set up as a wired connection through a raspberry pi connected to my router which forms a secondary wireless/wired NAT. So with this fortification and the security of that, the ship should be running pretty watertighht. Thankyou.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

tenfoot wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:16 pm E: Package 'firefox-esr' has no installation candidate[/code]
The PPA instructions are in the very first line of code in the first post. You must have skipped the first line.

See lower down.
Last edited by Moonstone Man on Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
pasada
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pasada »

tenfoot see Joefootball's reply to the same query I had as you further up in the thread.
Execute sudo apt update prior to executing the install command.

Return to “Tutorials”