Rescue Grub Flashdrive for UEFI or Legacy.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Useful for those who dual boot with Windows.

Typical Uses: For when your computer now only boots into Windows. You cannot boot Linux.
Or, you have managed to damage your EFI partition contents.
It might be an idea to create a flashdrive **before** any Windows update borks Grub..

This creates a simple flashdrive boot device. Allows a booting choice of either using your system's 'grub.cfg' or a direct kernel boot.

It's often easier to fix Grub problems from within a running system.

Install UEFI and Legacy Grub to a flashdrive.

Format a flashdrive to fat32 and set the 'boot' and 'esp' flags. Note: Don't use GPT here. "USB Stick Formatter" ("Mintstick") is normally fine for this but I would recommend using Gparted for everything.

Edit 10/05/21 . I've found that with some flashdrives that you cannot set the 'boot' and 'esp' flags unless the partition & filesystem has been created with Gparted.

IMPORTANT: Use 'gparted' for this... 'Device', 'Create partition table'. Chooses 'msdos' and 'Apply'. 'Partition', 'New'. Select 'Fat32' and click 'Add'.
'Edit', 'Apply Operations'. Click on the partition graphic (the box with the text '/dev/sda1') to highlight it. 'Partition', 'Manage flags'. Select 'boot' & 'esp'
and click on close. Close Gparted.

I'll assume here that your flashdrive is seen as 'sda'. Use 'fdisk -l' to check.

Install UEFI and Legacy Grub:

Code: Select all

sudo su
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/EFI/boot --efi-directory=/mnt --target=x86_64-efi /dev/sda
grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/EFI/boot --target=i386-pc /dev/sda
sync
exit
sudo xed /mnt/EFI/boot/grub/grub.cfg
Copy & paste the following sample 'grub.cfg':
You'll need the filesystem UUID of your Linux installation and the full filenames of your kernel & initrd.

You can create a text file containing these using:

blkid > myFilenames.txt
ls /boot/vmlinuz* >> myFilenames.txt
ls /boot/initrd* >> myFilenames.txt
Copy & paste the required UUID, kernel and initrd names. I recommend that you use the full kernel/initrd name, just in case the local kernel & initrd symlinks are incorrect. There is an entry here which should help when you've forgotten to update this 'grub.cfg' after upgrading your kernel.
The full kernel and initrd file names are similar to: 'vmlinuz-5.11.16-051116-generic' and 'initrd.img-5.11.16-051116-generic'.

Sample 'grub.cfg' using an example UUID and kernel/initrd names.

menuentry "Boot using the system's grub.cfg." {
    search --set=root --fs-uuid e8ab7adf-e4b4-43cc-8c43-bbef6d53f6f1
    set prefix=($root)/boot/grub
    configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
}

menuentry "Direct kernel boot." {
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.16-051116-generic root=UUID=e8ab7adf-e4b4-43cc-8c43-bbef6d53f6f1
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-5.11.16-051116-generic
} 

menuentry "Direct kernel boot. Kernel & initrd symlink" {
    linux /boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=e8ab7adf-e4b4-43cc-8c43-bbef6d53f6f1
    initrd /boot/initrd
} 
Save and exit.

Unmount the flashdrive with:

sudo umount /mnt
This should be enough to boot your system.

Bodge99.

Return to “Tutorials”