easy creation of VIDEO_TS files and others.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
ellgor
Level 1
Level 1

easy creation of VIDEO_TS files and others.

Post by ellgor »

Hi all,

If, like me (a lot older than most) you have AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files or even a film file on two Cd's (back before Dvd disks) then Avidemux is the program to have.

Over the years I've tried most of the similar programs Vlc, Makemkv, Shotcut and Handbrake to name just a few, some are quite easy to set up and go but all of them once started take a very long time and a huge amount of processor power to boot, not so with Avidemux.

Avidemux is available online and as an Appimage and here's how to use it for Video_Ts files.

Insert your Cd/Dvd open the file manager and wait for it to show the Disc (under devices) click on it and it will open in the main window, depending on how the file was created some of the folders may have a lock symbol on them, if they have simply copy the file to a working directory of your own and change the ownership like this:-

sudo chown you-the-user location-name-of-file example:-

sudo chown david /mnt/home/videos/VIDEO_TS and/or AUDIO_TS

after doing the last you may have to click on the file just changed, click on properties and change the permissions to read and write (avidemux wont open a locked file).

Fire up Avidemux and click on file or click the icon that looks like a folder and click on open, a new window opens with the title "Select Video Files" navigate to the VIDEO_TS file you just created highlight it and click open whereupon a list of the files inside will be presented.

Choose a VOB file of about 1Gb (or largest available) highlight it and click open whereupon another dialog box opens saying "there are other files of the same ..... or something like that" click yes avidemux will do its thing and after about 30 secs at most it will say your file is ready.
Click on File again and this time click on Save, check to make sure where its going, rename it? and click ok, 1 min later, job done.

A slightly different approach for a 2 cd's film, or a part one then two on the same disc, load the disc (and if there's a lock symbol do as above) and fire up avidemux, goto File/ Open/ navigate to the required file(s) load the first into avidemux then click File/Append and avidemux puts the second under the first, as before click on File/Save and put it where you can find it.

Final note, I wasn't bothered about getting the finished files to run on a dvd player, as long as it ran from the hard drive it was fine for me.

Return to “Tutorials”