Illuminated keyboards that use scroll lock as switch. How to

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
Deadbot1
Level 1
Level 1

Illuminated keyboards that use scroll lock as switch. How to

Post by Deadbot1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:47 am

I just found a neat solution to the scroll lock not working for illuminated keyboards that use it for a switch(mostly EL backlit ones). A search through he forums turned up very little.

To enable the light I created a launcher and placed it on the panel. I named this launcher "Light Keyboard". The command for it is " xset led 3 "

To disable the light I created a second launcher and placed it on the panel named " Unlight Keyboard".
The command for it is " xset -led 3 ".

Now I have two panel applets(buttons), one to turn the EL on and one to turn it off.

Not the most elegant solution, but it works. This should work for most any backlit keyboard that uses the Scroll Lock key as a switch.

newlinuxuser
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Illuminated keyboards that use scroll lock as switch. Ho

Post by newlinuxuser » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:46 pm

I tried your solution, but my KB still wont light up. I am new to linux, so forgive me, but maybe I am missing something. Do I actually type xset led 3 in the launcher, or is the "x" some kind of variable that I need to replace with a way to identify the keyboard?

The KB works fine on my old windows system. The Scroll lock button turns the EL on/off as it should.
It is a Sunbeamtech EL-KB-07

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Illuminated keyboards that use scroll lock as switch. Ho

Post by Oscar799 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:44 am

Hello newlinuxuser,
It would be best to start a new thread with your question.
Questions added on to the end of old threads (in this case nearly 10 months old) often get missed as most people answering questions find them in the "Unanswered posts" list.
oscar799
Forum Admin

Return to “Tutorials”