Mint Cinnamon NVIDIA My Window Drag Lag Fix

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
random0
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Cinnamon NVIDIA My Window Drag Lag Fix

Post by random0 »

I went back to Mint earlier and I do have to say that Mint is defiantly the best distro out there by far for general users like myself.

One thing I noticed though was that whenever I have Firefox opened (even if minimized), and I drag a window of any application, the window in question was ever so slightly stuttering (not completely smooth). Nothing major, but a little annoying IMO. And that was with force composition pipeline enabled in NVIDIA settings. It turned out it was a Vsync issue.

So, to do this fix, as per usual, you need to enable force full composition pipeline in Nvidia Settings. Without it, based on my experience, you always get window drag lag with NVIDIA drivers (no matter the distro or desktop environment). It's basically something that you always need to enable.
Open nvidia settings with sudo privileges:

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-settings
Go to X Server Display Configuration, and for every display you have, in the the advanced section, enable "Force Full Composition Pipeline". Then click apply.
Then click "Save to X Configuration File".
"Save to X Configuration File" ensures the settings are applied automatically on boot. Otherwise, you'd need to do it ever time (this is why we opened nvidia-settings as sudo btw)

Finally, go to Linux Mint Settings > Genral > VSync Method
Set it to "None".
This is the thing that fixes the problem I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

With this, my Linux Mint Cinnamon is noticeably smoother than the previous GNOME 42 and KDE based distros I had. It's pretty awesome. My NVIDIA driver is the latest one - 510.73.
ch1cozz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Cinnamon NVIDIA My Window Drag Lag Fix

Post by ch1cozz »

Thank you man. It helped a lot.

Is the Mint team aware of these problems? By default in Linux Mint I generally have to change some settings in NVIDIA Settings in order to get the system more usable (example: uncheck allow flipping so I can share/record my screen without flickering and those you shared to remove lag while dragging windows).
lupusaesticus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Cinnamon NVIDIA My Window Drag Lag Fix

Post by lupusaesticus »

Thanks, that's a really good tip, this issue had been plaguing me for months, in my case the most noticeable problem was laggy video playback. This seems to have solved it for me (Mint 20.3, also driver version 510.73).

However, I also discovered that if I select Nvidia Performance Mode in the Nvidia Optimus applet, the problem returns, while selecting Nvidia On-Demand makes things smooth again. I haven't tested these settings in isolation of each other, but for anyone else reading this, might be worth trying.

Return to “Tutorials”