LINUX MINT 8 USB BOOTABLE INSTALL (NO BIOS UPDATE NEEDED!!!)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
myspacecommassergio

LINUX MINT 8 USB BOOTABLE INSTALL (NO BIOS UPDATE NEEDED!!!)

Post by myspacecommassergio »

(((WINDOWS USERS ONLY)))

TESTED IN VISTA BY ME IT WORKS!

(usb boot manager tested in XP Professional)

Hello there It's me Mas Sergio again :P

I haven't seen any guides or how to's mentioned here in the forums on how to install Linux Mint 8 on a USB Flash to boot into via Windows so I guess I'll do the honors to say I was a test dummy or something so don't fear Sergio is here lol. If this has already been posted please delete this post I'm sorry if so!

I read that a 2GB USB Drive(or more) should work fine.

This barely needs explaining. Its that simple :wink:

Just download the iso of Linux Mint like you normally would. Then download this baby..

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/ ... 8-v0.2.exe

BEFORE YOU CONTINUE I RECOMEND YOU DO A "QUICK FORMAT" UNDER COMPUTER IN FAT32 FORMAT FOR YOUR USB DRIVE WITH DEFUALT FORMAT SETTINGS. ---REMEMBER THAT FORMATING ERASES EVERYTHING SO BACK UP YOUR STUFF IN YOUR USB IF YOU PLAN ON KEEPING IT---

After thats downloaded just open it in Windows and it should ask you for the directory for the iso file. Click on the directory where you placed your Linux Mint 8 Iso file, click your drive where your usb is in(if your not sure check in computer), click next, and it should begin to install it.

::Side Note::
I Belive this program is custom tailored for linux mint 8 only(I'm not sure) so I wouldn't recomend it for any other versions of Linux Mint.

:::ALSO:::
Mind you friends that this takes a while. The best advice I can give you is please don't close it becuase it appears to hang at moments becuase it will say 100% when its not done installing a certain file but it works. Just give it a minute. :)

Gladly I can say this is how I installed Linux Mint 8 onto my Windows Vista HP DV 6700 Laptop to Dual boot with Windows Vista x64.

It works for installing both x32 and x64 versions of Mint 8(I installed them both via this method on my usb).

If you guys need a more in depth guide or the download suddenly just doesnt work(for what ever reason) please go here to this Guide/How to where i got it from and try your luck.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-li ... n-windows/

its the page I came across in google for a quick vista Guide. It should work in windows xp as well but since I did it for Vista I'll just say it works in Vista but ur welcome to try it for an XP system (I don't see why it wouldn't work). :mrgreen:

***UPDATE***

Is you PC to old to boot from USB?

IF NOT THEN SKIP THIS STEP... ITS NOT NECESARRY IF YOU CAN BOOT FROM USB ALREADY. IF YOUR NOT SURE DURING START UP HIT THE F BUTTONS NORMALLY F12. IT SHOULD SAY IT ON THE BOOT MENU. IF YOU BOOT INTO THE BOOT MENU AND YOU CAN'T FIND ANYTHING THAT SAYS "USB" THEN CONTINUE FOLLOWING THE VIDEO GUIDE BELOW... IF YOU HAVE USB BOOT OPTION THEN YOU ARE DONE AND YOU CAN NOW INSTALL LINUX MINT VIA YOUR USB NEXT TIME YOU BOOT.

FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T BOOT VIA USB KEEP READING---

Are bios updates no longer supporting your COMPUTER? Do you want to avoid BIOS updating all together becuase of the risks involved?

TRY THIS IT WILL ALLOW YOUR WINDOWS SYSTEM TO BOOT VIA USB THIS IS 1000000000000000000000000000000 TIMES SAFER THAN UPDATING A BIOS.... if you don't trust me google the horror stories of what happens when bios updates go wrong during instalation(power outage and so on)...

Follow this GUIDE for windows to allow USB boot. This video giude was made for windows XP (plop however is compatible with VISTA but I have not tried it in VISTA so research if you need this for VISTA).

I did this on an OLD DELL... really this dell is ANCIENT and it works with USB now thanks to this guide. This VIDEO GUIDE is not done by me so I wont take credit for it just spreading the word. I wont write the instructions becuase it's alot easier to watch a step by step video trust me watching it for this program will sooooooo make things easier than me explaining it's steps. If anything is going by to fast remember theres a puase button lol. :)

All in all awesome video GUIDE i recomend you all save this link if you have more than 1 computer that needs to boot via floppy, usb, or CD ROM(this will enable it).
5 MINUTE PLOP BOOT MANAGER Video Guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51B0gi-g0U

***Important***

DOWNLOAD THE PLOP VERSION(THE BOOT MANAGER FOR USB, FLOPPY, CDROM) IN THE VIDEO DESCRIPTION DO NOT GO TO THE WEBSITE (I TRIED IT) THE NEWER VERSIONS AREN'T WORKING WITH THAT GUIDE(DON'T ASK WHY BECUASE I DON'T KNOW)

Sorry if this guide was kind of long... I wanted to make sure I made it as good as possible for people who aren't sure. Hope it helps. Leave comments on your sucess with this guide! ENJOY!
breaker

Re: LINUX MINT 8 USB BOOTABLE INSTALL (NO BIOS UPDATE NEEDED!!!)

Post by breaker »

Thanks for the info about PLoP, I had not run across it before! I searched and found some people were able to load it from grub. I'm not sure if the super grub disk can boot usb, but if not, this could be another option if it was on a CD or floppy (to help boot the usb).
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Bootable USB is exactly the way I installed my Linux Mint with. My USB was a 16gb Storage so everything went really smoothly. Safest and fastest way!!

+1
jude13

Post by jude13 »

sorry if i sound deliberately stupid.. still a new bee to mint an learning the ropes.. i would like to create a bootable mint 8 usb from inside mint 7/ any linux distro.... something like whats said above but from within linux... is unetbootin the way to do it?.. or are there other ways.. googling is confusing me... most are how to install from within windows.. thanx for help...
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

jude13 wrote:is unetbootin the way to do it?
yes. it's listed in package manager.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
breaker

Post by breaker »

To use the native Ubuntu/Mint tool, install the package usb-creator (from Synaptic Package Manager).
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

I never use that one, also because it only works for ubuntu based distribution, if I do try to burn some other distribution on the USB stick by adding the .iso file there in the software, that file won't show up unless it's ubunt / Mint related..

UNetbootin is the way to go (also on windows)
jude13

Post by jude13 »

so the general consensus seems to be that UNetbootin is the one to use..
usb creator-- havent heard of that one.. will give it a try too on reaching home.. thanx a heap guys :mrgreen:
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

jude13 wrote:so the general consensus seems to be that UNetbootin is the one to use..
usb creator-- havent heard of that one.. will give it a try too on reaching home.. thanx a heap guys :mrgreen:
It simply is the Ubuntu default tool, which isn't as default on Mint, though.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

PLOP isn't perfect btw... sometimes it will freeze hang etc.

If it fails try again....... I've had times where it wont load a USB boatable for like over 4 times and it hangs on the Plop screen until i turn it off and try again. It's not perfect eh... but it beats the "all dangerous bios update process" that could royaly screw your computer if you get that crazy luck where the lights get cut off during an install ( hey it happens ).
spayk

Re: LINUX MINT 8 USB BOOTABLE INSTALL (NO BIOS UPDATE NEEDED

Post by spayk »

Does this work on WINE?

Return to “Tutorials”