[GUIDE] Want To Game on Mint 20? Start Here!

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Neigdoig
Level 3
Level 3

[GUIDE] Want To Game on Mint 20? Start Here!

Post by Neigdoig »

For those unaware, I'm a gamer myself who uses this distro for almost everything I do. I thought it'd be only fair to do a tutorial of what I do after a fresh install of LM 20 Cinnamon:
1. I always do

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y
to update the software repositories, and upgrade my system. I will reboot once the upgrade is complete.

2. I will then start the Driver Manager (since I have an NVIDIA card), and install the proprietary graphics drivers. I'd recommend 470 drivers to start, and I wouldn't even touch the newer ones. However, should you decide to upgrade your Graphics Drivers, but the monitor resolution isn't right, you should check here (viewtopic.php?f=59&t=381736), as I had this issue too.

3. I'll head over to https://christitus.com/ultimate-linux-gaming-guide/ to follow Chris's guide on doing everything needed for setting up, since I won't list the steps here. I'd take all day. :P

4. I will then install Steam, and that takes a bit... however, I can also get ProtonUp-Qt, and get GE-Proton7-26, the latest version available for 470 drivers. That will be downloaded under /home/$USER/.steam/debian-installation/compatibilitytools.d. That way, Steam will recognize it, and allow me to play Windows games on Linux.

5. I'll head to the System Settings, and under Appearance, select Effects. I turn all that stuff off, for the compositor can also degrade performance a bit.

6. I'll then do

sudo nano etc/default/grub
and then add under

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
I will put

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="rhgb quiet nvidia-drm.modeset=1 mitigations=off"
to increase performance for my machine, and to attempt to load in the NVIDIA modules a bit earlier. Afterwords, I will do

sudo update-grub
and then reboot.

7. In some cases, I'll do

xed admin:///etc/modules
and then add

nvidia
nvidia-drm
nvidia-modeset
to load that in a bit faster. Just in case (although not needed) I will then do

sudo update-initramfs -u
and reboot.

And that should be it for me. Any steps I missed will be edited into this first post on this thread as "Optional Steps".
Last edited by Neigdoig on Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Want To Game on Mint 20? Start Here!

Post by SMG »

Neigdoig wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:44 pm2. I will then start the Driver Manager (since I have an NVIDIA card), and install the proprietary graphics drivers (I'd recommend 470 drivers to start, and I wouldn't even touch the newer ones unless you know how to set Wayland up properly for NVIDIA GPUs)
Linux Mint does not support using Wayland. Current versions of Linux Mint only support using X Server.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Tutorials”