gnome-disk-utility

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

gnome-disk-utility

Post by dave1953 »

I was asked about basic use of gnome-disk-utility and quickly typed up some simple instructions for mounting drives (volumes) and enabling the write-cache, which are then written to fstab.

This came about as I prefer to label my drives "6tb" "3tb" "PCSSD" etcetera for ease of identification and was asked how I achieved this.

By using gnome-disk-utility (also known as Disks), which is either already installed or can easily be installed in Linux Mint..

This may not be the "proper" way to mount drives in fstab, but hey it works for me, it is efficient and it is quick, so - why not?

I have uploaded brief and basic instructions if this helps anyone. This utility is pretty powerful and volumes can be renamed without loss of data, formatted, etc etc etc.
Regards

Install gnome-disk-utility (Disks). A very powerful utility which does a lot more than people realise.

This naming adjustment is best done on a new installation with the drives unmounted.

(Note: (gnome-disk-utility will unmount the drives for you if already mounted.
Just click on the square box icon on the left of the three icons placed underneath the large representation of the volume.

It is also possible to edit the partition and change the name of it without losing your data, but be very careful you don't screw up.
I give you this guide with the best of intentions and as a matter of goodwill, but clearly cannot be responsible if you make an error,
so PLEASE BE EXCEPTIONALLY CAREFUL)).

With the assumption the drives are unmounted and appropriately named according to your preference, open up gnome-disk-utility (Disks)

You will see all of the individual disks/partitions/volumes displayed in front of you

Select the drive/partition you wish to mount.

Click on the gears icon just underneath the volume display, approximately in the centre of the screen (volume display is usually blue)

From the choices offered select "Edit Mount Options" and click to open the Mount Options dialogue

Turn OFF "User Session Defaults" - important!

Tick (or check for U.S. colleagues) the boxes marked "Mount at system startup" and "Show in user interface"

Go down to the box markes as "Identify as"; there are dropdown choices to choose from

At the bottom of the dropdown you should find "LABEL=______" with whatever your volume is labelled (in my case for example "6tb")

Then hit the "OK" if you are comfortable with your choices. You will most likely be asked to authorise this as it writes this to your fstab.

Next go the to the three dots/lines at the top of the dialogue just to the left of the minimize maximize and close icons

Choose "Drive Settings" from the choices in the dropdown box; here you can activate the write cache if you prefer it on or leave it off if you prefer. Again,
if you switch on the write-cache you will most likely be asked to authorise.

Finally, click on the button to the left of the row of buttons under the volume/partition indicator shaped as an arrowhead (where the square box was previously),
(you should have an arrowhead, a minus sign and a gears icon next to one another) - the arrowhead will mount your drive in the fstab with the label or
UUID or whatever you have selected and again you should be asked to authorise.

Repeat for any other volumes you wish to mount.
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: gnome-disk-utility

Post by Jymm »

Recommendation: Save a copy of the current fstab before making any changes to the actual file. If you make a mistake replace fstab with the earlier copy.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Re: gnome-disk-utility

Post by dave1953 »

Very good advice

Return to “Tutorials”