Couch Potato Install, Setup, & Configuration Guide

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
daemox

Couch Potato Install, Setup, & Configuration Guide

Post by daemox »

Howdy all!

I've finally released a comprehensive Install, Setup, & Configuration guide for Couch Potato on Ubuntu and Linux Mint. An excerpt from the first page of the guide can be seen below, the rest (fully formatted) can be found here.

Cheers, and let me know if you have any questions or problems!

Introduction

Howdy! It's finally time for my Couch Potato guide! Huzzah!

Anyway, I'm excited to get this guide out to you all as Couch Potato is a great program and is right up there with Sick Beard in terms of ease of use, flexibility, and robustness. I had originally planned to wait until Couch Potato's Management section was implemented more fully, but I started testing the program as it was and found it already incredibly useful. Since then, the Management section still hasn't been fully developed, but the program, in general, has seen continued updates and is well worth using as it currently stands.

But, before I get ahead of myself, and for those of you who are not really clear on what I'm talking about here, Couch Potato is an application that serves a role similar to a standalone Digital or Personal Video Recorder (DVR/PVR). However, where a DVR or PVR will monitor a cable or satellite television connection for movies that you might like to record and watch at a later date, Couch Potato monitors the Internet. Also, whereas a DVR/PVR is generally going to be a separate, standalone device, Couch Potato is an application that can be run on just about any Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or other GNU/Linux based personal computer. As such, Couch Potato is far more flexible than a "traditional" DVR/PVR setup.

For those that are familiar, this is very similar to Sick Beard, but Sick Beard specifically monitors episodic content where as Couch Potato specifically monitors cinematic content. As such, each has its own similar but unique feature set that is tailored specifically to its own intended role.

When combined with SABnzbd+, Sick Beard, Headphones (soon), and XBMC Media Center this makes for an extremely automated, streamlined, robust, and easy to use setup that is second to none!

The rest can be found here!

Return to “Tutorials”