How To Disable Lock Screen In Gnome

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

How To Disable Lock Screen In Gnome

Post by tdockery97 »

A common request on the forums is "How do I disable the screen lock following screensaver or resume from suspend?"

It's actually very simple and completely solves the problem. I've included a clickable thumbnail of a screenshot for each step, so here we go.

1. You need to open the gconfig editor by keying Alt-F2 and enter gconf-editor in the text box:

2. Next double-click on desktop to open the tree further:

3. Next double-click on gnome to open the tree further:

4. Click once on lockdown and you'll see selections in the right-hand window. Tick the disable_ lock_screen box, close gconf2 and you are done. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How To Disable Lock Screen In Gnome

Post by zombie »

Why not simply: Preferences > Screensaver > Uncheck 'Lock screen when screensaver is active' ?
Works for me.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I've heard of several cases where that doesn't "stick". I've had installations where it happened to me as well. This way you cut it off at the source.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
TenBirds

Post by TenBirds »

Thanks a lot!

That was extremely irritating.
rafi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rafi »

Thanks tdockery97, but that actually doesn't work for me. I'm on a fresh install of Linux Mint 14. Upon boot, Mint logs on automatically, but not when coming back from suspend or hibernate, no matter what the tick setting that you suggest.

I also tried to edit gnome-power-manager setting as suggested elsewhere in this forum (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 51#p140671) but that key does not exist in my install. Also, preferences->screensaver does no longer exist.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

Thanks!

Cheers,
rafi
rafi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rafi »

OK, no somebody explain me why I didn't see that earlier, but Preferences->Brightness and Lock-> Lock set to "off" works... doh :oops:
matthewkuhl

Post by matthewkuhl »

Thanks!
Any idea how to simply change the background? This is better than having the default wallpaper as the lock screen image, but if i could change the image to my current wallpaper i would not mind the lock screen so much.
rompelstilchen

Post by rompelstilchen »

there is no gconf-edit in my mint 17 distro
Otheus

Please update answer

Post by Otheus »

As previous comment, Mint 17 does not have gconf-editor. There *is* a Preferences->"Screen Locker" widget, but this only disables locking screen after the computer goes to sleep or the "screen turns off" whatever that means. That doesn't sound like the right thing. I want to completely disable it as I'm running this within a VM on a desktop that already locks the screen.
-Mr Happy-

Post by -Mr Happy- »

Linux Mint 17.3 under System Settings > Screensaver > Settings options for Lock the computer when inactive work for me.
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

Start Button / Settings / Light Locker settings
Set "Automatically lock the session" to "Never".
Click Apply.

Return to “Tutorials”