(de)activate screensaver while playing video

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
rezitengaM

Re: (de)activate screensaver while playing video

Post by rezitengaM »

DrHu wrote:I don't knwo, usually when I am using the computer (running a session), I don't want any screensaver interruptions at all..

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/2-ways-t ... sable.html
--various tricks/scripts to get around screen saver issues: I think it is so much simpler to just turn off screen saver while at work..
So, I might may that step one: disable screen saver on the available settings menus screensavers selection(s)
Yes, that's the point. The screensaver/suspesion is no problem while you interact with your computer. When you watch a movie or you make a backup, however, the computer is not actively kept awake by yourself. Of course, you could switch off the screensaver yourself and reactivate it afterwards but why do the work yoursef?

That is where this script comes in or caffeine or lightson. The difference is, caffeine only checks if a process is running (which is not enough to determine whether you are actually playing a video) and lightson only works for fullscreen flash videos.

With this script, I tried to get the behaviour right in all cases. Actually, for me, it works perfectly after a careful setup.
dawbomb

Post by dawbomb »

DrHu wrote:I don't knwo, usually when I am using the computer (running a session), I don't want any screensaver interruptions at all..
I don't actually use a screensaver - I've got my laptop set to turn off my screens off after 10 minutes of inactivity, solely for saving electricity. This just makes sure my screens don't turn off when I'm watching series or a movie.

rezitengaM wrote:Thanks, nice to hear that the script is useful for others aswell. I think the reason why it is no default behaviour is because it is not really a "ready out of the box" solution. It still needs some fiddling but then it works great.
I realise this, but what I mean is that a computer should just not go to sleep when there's a fullscreen application running. Ever. Not just for movies. When you're doing a presentation to clients the last thing you want is your family photos screensaver coming up!
Xwrc

Post by Xwrc »

rezitengaM, this sounds like exactly the thing I've been looking for as a relative newbie to Linux, but it does not seem to work in Mint 17.1, using XFCE desktop. I have installed "xdotool", but when I right click the script and select "Execute", nothing happens (I understand there should be a new tray icon?) and VLC player does not inhibit screensaver (the option is unchecked in VLC itself). Any quick and easy fix?

Return to “Tutorials”