How can I contribute to translation of support pdf?

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gagmani

How can I contribute to translation of support pdf?

Post by gagmani »

Hi,I want to translate user guide PDF of Mint 13 LTS in two Indian languages.But how can I translate those docs?Whom permission do I need?What software should I use to do the translation?Please try to answer my questions ASAP.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How can I contribute to translation of support pdf?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved your post here. I've deduced you can write in at least three languages :wink:

Thanks for considering doing this! Translations to other languages are done by volunteers from the community of users, like yourself. You can find information to get you started in this post I made a while ago: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46#p641158. It was for a user considering doing the Italian translation.
gagmani

Post by gagmani »

xenopeek wrote:Moved your post here. I've deduced you can write in at least three languages :wink:

Thanks for considering doing this! Translations to other languages are done by volunteers from the community of users, like yourself. You can find information to get you started in this post I made a while ago: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46#p641158. It was for a user considering doing the Italian translation.
Thank you for your quick response.I have good command over Hindi and Punjabi(Indian). But my typing speed is very slow.Still I have enough time to contribute to the translation as it is a long term support release.How can I get the help of other people on the mint community?I guessed earlier that I would have to use Libre Office as it has a PDF export option,which I regularly use to avoid hassle of providing fonts to friends.Where should I submit it?Can I submit partial guide and then append it later?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Making a partial translated guide available to users may not be a good experience for them; best to have a full translation before we upload it to the Linux Mint download server. The documents can become quite large due to all the screenshots, so uploading it here isn't an option. You can use any free file host (search for "free file host no sign up" to find a list), and share the link to the uploaded files here. As to how to get help from other Hindi or Punjabi speakers, you could post your attentions in the Open Chat section (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=58). That's read by more users and you may find them that way. There may also be Linux related websites in India where you could call for help?

Return to “Translations”