Translation of spices

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alanm

Translation of spices

Post by Alanm »

How do I submit a po file with translations in github?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Translation of spices

Post by xenopeek »

You require a GitHub account. Go to the directory where the file should be added and add it there. Making changes to a GitHub project like that creates fork of it on your account. So the new file is only added to your own fork. Now you create a pull request (PR) there to submit your change for review to the project. Your PR will likely be accepted after review and be merged. For how it then ends up on users' their systems see the GitHub section on http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2017/01/c ... d-artists/.

GitHub workflow can perhaps be a bit alien if you haven't used it before. It's not that complex but finding your way the first time may look daunting. For help you can join #linuxmint-dev on Spotchat IRC (just open HexChat from your menu and type /join #linuxmint-dev to go there) and ask for help with the bits you don't understand. GitHub also have an extensive help and various tutorials.
Alanm

Post by Alanm »

Thanks for the reply. What you describe is what I gathered from reading the github help. I was hoping that I had missed something and that adding a file would be easier than making changes to an existing file.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Alanm wrote:I was hoping that I had missed something and that adding a file would be easier than making changes to an existing file.
I don't quite follow. I have both a "Create new file" and "Upload files" button on GitHub projects. Using either will first fork the project, then let you do this and afterwards you can do the PR to merge your changes (to the project) back to the project.
Alanm

Post by Alanm »

Thanks for the help. I have "uploaded" my first translation. Is it possible to upload a po file or do you have to copy the text from the po file into the browser?

Return to “Translations”