Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
desertdad
Level 1
Level 1

No GParted after booting LM 17.3 Xfce liveDVD <SOLVED>

Postby desertdad » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:11 am

I was ready to use GParted from the liveDVD before I did the install of LM 17.3. Booted fine, Mint seemed to be running ok. Sees my external drive. Went looking for GParted. I've seen screen shots where GParted showed up as an app in the task bar. nope... Looked in any other suspect locations...nope...I feel like I'm snake bit. This is silly, but where is GParted from a liveDVD LM17.3 Xfce? My sig has some details. If you need more, just ask. :?
Today has been a better day. I have Mint 17.3 Xfce installed, have made some progress on 'the first 10 things...', gotten my first network attached printer working, transferred some Office .DOCX files to my Linux system [opened/edited/saved them as well]...I'm a happy camper and am truly amazed by all the work a whole bunch of very smart people have accomplished. Now it's time for a good night sleep for a change. :D
Last edited by desertdad on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux rookie, 2008 vintage Toshiba L305D laptop, Vista 32 bit dual boot, 3GB memory, ethernet/WiFi, 64 bit AMD processor, Mint 18.1 Xfce

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Re: No GParted after booting LM 17.3 Xfce liveDVD

Postby jimallyn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:20 am

Partition Editor in the System menu.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

desertdad
Level 1
Level 1

Postby desertdad » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:35 am

Thank you :oops: I hope tomorrow will be a better day.
Dick
Linux rookie, 2008 vintage Toshiba L305D laptop, Vista 32 bit dual boot, 3GB memory, ethernet/WiFi, 64 bit AMD processor, Mint 18.1 Xfce

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 pm

You wouldn't be the first person to be confused by Mint's calling things different names. Like, what Mint calls "Videos" is really Totem. I guess they chose "Partition Editor" because that's a little more descriptive than 'gparted.'

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Flemur
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Flemur » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:50 pm

jimallyn wrote:You wouldn't be the first person to be confused by Mint's calling things different names.

I very rarely use menus and I hate those bogus names.
Like, what Mint calls "Videos" is really Totem. I guess they chose "Partition Editor" because that's a little more descriptive than 'gparted.'

Descriptive and helpful would be: "Videos - totem" and "Partition Editor - gparted"

Even better would be to avoid meaningless, useless names like "totem" and name them "totem-video" or some such. "gparted" is close, at least.
Mint 18.1 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less - Xubuntu 16.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Hoser Rob
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Hoser Rob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Flemur wrote:
jimallyn wrote:You wouldn't be the first person to be confused by Mint's calling things different names.

I very rarely use menus and I hate those bogus names.
Like, what Mint calls "Videos" is really Totem. I guess they chose "Partition Editor" because that's a little more descriptive than 'gparted.'

Descriptive and helpful would be: "Videos - totem" and "Partition Editor - gparted"

Even better would be to avoid meaningless, useless names like "totem" and name them "totem-video" or some such. "gparted" is close, at least.

Agree 100%. Ubuntu is the same. And it's ridiculous.

ajgreeny
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ajgreeny » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:26 pm

interesting discussion, and something I had not thought about.

In the whisker menu of Xubuntu 16.04, and I think it was the same in 14.04, you can change the properties of the menu to either show, or not show, generic application names; if you show generic names gparted becomes partition editor. The default, luckily, I think, is not to show generic names, but you and others may disagree with me about that.

Flemur
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Flemur » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:47 pm

ajgreeny wrote: if you show generic names gparted becomes partition editor. .

I just tried it; the only change was that some parts of the menu moved around (program list <-> Favorites column swapped position). Nothing I did would make it show the correct name of the executables. "Show application description" did show descriptions...which were basically the same as the original prompt (Terminal Emulator/Use the command line).

Flemur
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Flemur » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:Agree 100%. Ubuntu is the same. And it's ridiculous.

As long as there are dumb names like totem and banshee, all linuxes will suffer from it.

I'm writing a letter - well, my first tweet - to order all software to be named according to some convention, with my convention being the best since I thought about it for a couple of minutes -
AAAA-B...B-CCC
AAAA = function code (dvd, vid, aud, dpkg, syst...)
B...B = unique name and actual function, like player, manager, or recorder.
CCC = some stupid name like totem, ubuntu, or the developer's ex-wife's first name.

Then video-player-totem, audio-editor-audacity, audio-player-banshee, syst-diskedit-gparted
Last edited by JeremyB on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: political reference removed

BG405
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No GParted after booting LM 17.3 Xfce liveDVD <SOLVED>

Postby BG405 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:27 pm

This gets even more confusing when you have several programs which are indistinguishable, so I add the actual program names to the menus. I agree some of the names are rather cryptic so having the name and either a pop-up description or a label on the menu works for me.

Names are not my strong point & I'll admit it does take a little getting used to.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - LM17.3 Xfce 32--------------------K7S5A Athlon 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 -----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 2.17.1 & Win98-SE

Return to “Installation & Boot”