[SOLVED] Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jo71236
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:27 am

[SOLVED] Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Postby Jo71236 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:25 am

So about a year and a half ago the version of linux mint I had dual booting on my computer failed. Grub wouldn't load and it would boot straight to windows. Now suddenly remembering my hard drives still partitioned I thought i'd install the newest linux mint after wiping the old version. Problem is, I have no idea what partitions to delete. Here's my screen shot of gparted anyone mind telling me what partitions to delete? That'd be great thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-05-19 14-25-14.png
Last edited by Jo71236 on Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pierre
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5414
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Postby Pierre » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 am

you don't delete it or even uninstall it,
but rather tell the new installer what to do:
- - use the something else option:
then use the change icon to select in turn:
- sda7 as the / root partition
- sda9 as the /home partition
- sda8 as the /swap partition

and click on apply & next to format sda7 & sda9 & then on next, to continue with the install.

Note: this assumes that you don't have anything to keep, on those partitions
& in particular on sda9 - -
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3985
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Postby administrollaattori » Fri May 19, 2017 10:38 am

Swapoff /dev/sda8 and delete swap-partition. After that delete /dev/sda7 and make a new partition to the empty space.

For / partition give 30 GB and make a swap-partition too (about 5 GB). When installing select 365 GB partition for /home

User avatar
Flemur
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4211
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Postby Flemur » Fri May 19, 2017 10:41 am

Jo71236 wrote: Problem is, I have no idea what partitions to delete. Here's my screen shot of gparted anyone mind telling me what partitions to delete? That'd be great thanks!

It's either sda7 or sda9; I'd guess sda7="/" (OS install) and sda9="/home".

You can tell by looking at the partitions with a file-browser: the OS partition will have "bin etc lib ..." directories.

You don't have to delete anything, just mark the partition for "format". 20G is about right for "/".
Mint 18.1 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less - Xubuntu 16.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

User avatar
Pierre
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5414
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Postby Pierre » Fri May 19, 2017 10:43 am

that's a point - - sda8 - the /swap partition - that size is only needed if you wish to hibernate,
& that your PCs ram is 16Gb in size - - otherwise it's 3x too big.
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Jo71236
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:27 am

Re: Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Postby Jo71236 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:44 am

Pierre wrote:you don't delete it or even uninstall it,
but rather tell the new installer what to do:
- - use the something else option:
then use the change icon to select in turn:
- sda7 as the / root partition
- sda9 as the /home partition
- sda8 as the /swap partition

and click on apply & next to format sda7 & sda9 & then on next to continue with the install.

Note: this assumes that you don't have anything to keep, on those partitions
& in particular on sda9 - -


Alright thanks for that. as grub failed do I need to reinstall that somewhere? Or will the installer do that for me?

Jo71236
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:27 am

Re: Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Postby Jo71236 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:47 am

Pierre wrote:that's a point - - sda8 - the /swap partition - that size is only needed if you wish to hibernate,
& that your PCs ram is 16Gb in size - - otherwise it's 3x too big.

I have 8 gig's of ram I think I remember reading somewhere double your ram is what you should have your swap as. Either way hibernation is a nice function to have so should I just make the partition smaller?

User avatar
Pierre
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5414
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Postby Pierre » Fri May 19, 2017 10:48 am

yep - the installer will place the Grub Loader onto SDa

you can just take the easy option & format & re-use,
or you could follow administrollaattori suggestion to re-size things a bit.
- either way, will work A.ok
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Jo71236
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:27 am

Re: Reinstalling Linux mint over a old failed version

Postby Jo71236 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

administrollaattori wrote:Swapoff /dev/sda8 and delete swap-partition. After that delete /dev/sda7 and make a new partition to the empty space.

For / partition give 30 GB and make a swap-partition too (about 5 GB). When installing select 365 GB partition for /home


Alright thanks for the resizing recommendations!


Return to “Installation & Boot”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests