Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CuteClown
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can't install from USB

Postby CuteClown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:34 am

Hi,

I have a new computer on which I'd like to install Linux Mint. I used the harddrive from an old laptop on which Linux Mint is already installed, but I'd like to do a clean install. I have made a bootable USB. I go to the boot menu in the BIOS, click the USB on which I burned the image with Unetbootin, and... Linux Mint starts normally, without a menu or option to install! The USB does show up both in the BIOS and as /dev/sdb, but it is not mounted automatically (I remember that Linux Mint did this, so this seems weird). I have messed with the BIOS settings, but this didn't get me any further.

I completely disabled booting from harddisk. I choose the USB disk to boot from in the BIOS, but the boot sequence after that is not any different from booting from the harddisk. So I'm not sure if I am actually booting from the harddisk or the USB :P

I have downloaded the 18.2 64-bit xfce edition. Fast boot is turned off, and legacy mode (I think this is called CSM in the BIOS) is turned on. My USB is not a Kingston, which is known for this problem.

I would appreciate any help and pointers! :)

Mattyboy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't install from USB

Postby Mattyboy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:54 am

Did you verify the ISO that you downloaded?

I'd 'start again' because it sounds like the bootmedia is corrupt. Its a good first place to check.

Download the appropriate version of Mint.. 32/64 bit.. desktop environment etc, verify it and make your boot media with rufus ( its a free download and usually more reliable ). Then try again. Still having problems after that? Post back :) and try to include some of your computers specs.

Oh, I would also re-enable booting from Hard Disk/drive as an installer may not be able to 'see' it, therefore not install to it.

michael louwe
Level 5
Level 5

Postby michael louwe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:38 am

@ kutkloon,.......

How did you connect the hard-drive from your old laptop to your new computer.? Via the USB port or the internal SATA connectors.?

If via the external USB port;
1. plug in only the Live LM USB-key and boot up into a Live session by setting the proper boot order in BIOS setup.
2. then plug in the external USB hard-drive. The LM Installer should auto-detect and auto-mount it.
3. proceed with the install by using the "Something else" method.

CuteClown
Level 1
Level 1

Postby CuteClown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for the replies!

Mattyboy wrote:Did you verify the ISO that you downloaded?

I'd 'start again' because it sounds like the bootmedia is corrupt. Its a good first place to check.

Download the appropriate version of Mint.. 32/64 bit.. desktop environment etc, verify it and make your boot media with rufus ( its a free download and usually more reliable ). Then try again. Still having problems after that? Post back :) and try to include some of your computers specs.

Oh, I would also re-enable booting from Hard Disk/drive as an installer may not be able to 'see' it, therefore not install to it.

I did verify the downloaded ISO. However, I did not verify the image on the USB drive (I don't think you can do this with Unetbootin). So, I will try again with Rufus (probably tomorrow).

michael louwe wrote:@ kutkloon,.......

How did you connect the hard-drive from your old laptop to your new computer.? Via the USB port or the internal SATA connectors.?

If via the external USB port;
1. plug in only the Live LM USB-key and boot up into a Live session by setting the proper boot order in BIOS setup.
2. then plug in the external USB hard-drive. The LM Installer should auto-detect and auto-mount it.
3. proceed with the install by using the "Something else" method.

It is a SATA drive, so this won't work unfortunately...

pbear
Level 3
Level 3

Postby pbear » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am

kutkloon wrote:I did verify the downloaded ISO. However, I did not verify the image on the USB drive (I don't think you can do this with Unetbootin).

FWIW, this Ubuntu help page gives a method for verifying the burned image (credit to JoeFootball). Haven't tried myself yet, but looks promising.

ETA: Have now had a chance to test the method. Works fine with a CD - which is the thing for which it was written - by running sha256sum /dev/cdrom in Terminal. However, running the equivalent command for a USB flash drive (sha256sum /dev/sdb) produces a "Permission denied" error. I check the drive's permissions with File Manager, but it says they "could not be determined." Moreover, if I mount the drive, change to that directory in Terminal and run checksum there, I get a different value from testing the ISO itself. Mind, this is a bootable-USB I know works, produced with Rufus as I recall (but not certain).
Last edited by pbear on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mint 18.2 Mate 64 bit

michael louwe
Level 5
Level 5

Postby michael louwe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm

@ kutkloon,.......
I completely disabled booting from harddisk.

How did you do that.? By unplugging all the internal hard-drives.?
....... Are the hard-drive of the new computer and the hard-drive from the old laptop, both internally connected to the new computer via SATA connections at the same time.?

Is Secure Boot set to disabled.?

CuteClown
Level 1
Level 1

Postby CuteClown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:04 am

michael louwe wrote:@ kutkloon,.......
I completely disabled booting from harddisk.

How did you do that.? By unplugging all the internal hard-drives.?
....... Are the hard-drive of the new computer and the hard-drive from the old laptop, both internally connected to the new computer via SATA connections at the same time.?

Is Secure Boot set to disabled.?

No, the hard drive is still connected.

Boot option #1 -> USB
Boot option #2 -> Disabled

And yes, secure boot is disabled. Currently I am checking the USB drive for bad sectors - which is taking ages (since I choose to do 4 passes, and you can't cancel this without risking to mess your USB drive up).

... (I meant to post this but got distracted, I wrote the rest of this post a couple of hours later) ...

It finally works! The problem seemed to be the USB drive. I tried about 6 times with the first USB drive before I gave up and went looking for another one. Rufus often freezed while writing to the first USB drive. It did finish three times, my PC booted from the USB drive, but gave the error "casper/vmlinuz not found" (which is very hard to see, since it only flashes the message before counting down before the boot - however if you hold the enter key you can vaguely distinguish the message). Indeed, there was no such file. The new USB drive worked at the first try, no troubles with Rufus whatsoever.

Thanks for all replies :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”