Here is what I was trying to solve the problem:
  • nomodeset
  • noapic
  • acpi=ht
  • pci=noacpi
  • acpi=noirq
  • pnpacpi=off
  • nouveau.noaccel=1
  • After the installation, use "Advanced Options" -> "Recovery mode" from the boot menu and choose "resume".
  • Compatibility mode
  • Install all updates
  • select recommended driver (currently selected is nvidia-375 which is marked as recommended
and so far the only thing that allow me to work is acpi=off but with this I have very
  • from time to time when I type a key in keyboard, I got that key typed multiple times. To solve this I set delay to max value and speed to min value in `repeat keys` but still pro
  • after some time of, successful work, everything suddenly becomes supper slow in spite of there is no any heavy task running, no cores loaded more than 1% and a lot of ram awail. I can't resize windows, can't use scroll in windows. Text selection become insane.
  • as @Euphilos noted I have no hyperthreading.

SET001
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Random freezes during installation from usb

Post by SET001 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Finally I solved this by downgrade to 17.2. Everything work super fine now.

Siegfried_DE-HH
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Random freezes during installation from usb

Post by Siegfried_DE-HH » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 pm

I had a similar problem with CPU Intel Core i7-7820X on MB MSI X299 last week. Neither Mint 18.3 Cinnamon nor Ubuntu 17.04 or 17.10 (all 64bit) booted from USB-Stick on my new PC system, which is:

Motherboard: Micro-Star (MSI) model: X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (MS-7A95), v: 1.0
BIOS (UEFI): American Megatrends v: 1.20, date: 2017-07-18
CPU: Intel Core i7-7820X (-HT-MCP-), 8 cores, cache 11264 KB
Graphics: NVIDIA Device 1c03, GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2, GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111, Direct Rendering: Yes
Hybrid HDD: Seagate ST1000DX002, 1 TB, no RAID device

The boot process always stopped. Error messages contained "Kernel panic - not syncing" and "Processor context corrupt". I tried out some of the commands you quoted below, but in vain.

A solution that finally worked was a little change the BIOS Setup. I disabled Intel Turbo Boost in the Overclocking Profile \ CPU Features (accessible in Advanced mode of the BIOS Setup). After re-starting the system, Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit installed and runs smoothly.

Return to “Installation & Boot”