Shutdown does not complete

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alex-n3050

Shutdown does not complete

Post by alex-n3050 »

The shutdown and reboot commands in bash end with the same "system halted" message.
The system power is not turned off for the shutdown command.
The reboot command does not restart after the system is shut down.
When I booted the Linux kernel, I set the following options:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="hibernate=no pnpacpi=off pcie_aspm=off pcie_port_pm=off acpi=off apm=off powersave=off libata=noacpi ipv6.disable=1"
uname -r output:
Linux az-M68MT-S2P 4.4.0-127-generic #153~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Sat May 19 14:00:03 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Why is the shutdown process not working properly in both cases?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Shutdown does not complete

Post by lsemmens »

How old is your computer - I haven't seen an issue like that since the days of Windows 3.1 :D

Seriously the output of inxi -Fxz might assist.

open a terminal and enter the command "inxi -Fxz" copy and paste that here using the "Quote" tags above.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

alex-n3050 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 pmGRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="hibernate=no pnpacpi=off pcie_aspm=off pcie_port_pm=off acpi=off apm=off powersave=off libata=noacpi ipv6.disable=1"
Why do you have to set all these boot parameters? Do you really have to? My machines all reboot and shutdown properly and none of the given parameters have been set.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pci=nomsi"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="pci=noaer"
gonzo01

Post by gonzo01 »

I also am having shutdown problems
linux mint 18.3 xfce

live cd boots fine and shuts down fine, however my installation from that same cd will not shutdown/logout etc from the menu, nor will it shutdown from the terminal.

new laptop - MSI GF62 7RD 1806AU

INTEL CORE I7770HQ PROCESSOR
NVIDEA GFORCE GTX1050/4GB GDDR5
128GB SSD - MINT INSTALLED
1TB HDD
DDR4 16GB

WINDOWS 10 - WIPED - ALL HD AND SSD PARTITIONS REMOVED AND REFORMATTED THE MINT 18.3 INSTALLED ON SSD.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

What happens if, instead of choosing "shutdown" from the menu you choose "logout"? When you return to the login screen choose the 'power button' in the upper right corner and then choose "quit" from the dropdown menu. From the popup window that appears, then choose "shutdown".

When I installed 18.3 xfce on my laptop I had a similiar, but slightly different problem. Xfce would 'eventually' complete shutdown but it took a looooong time. I discovered that if I did a logout first, and then a shutdown, that the process took a few seconds. Somewhere along the line the behavior stopped happening, either because of an applied update or because I upgraded my kernel from 4.10 to 4.13
gonzo01

Post by gonzo01 »

thanks for the reply Reddog1

have tried all of the shutdown options from both the menu and the login screen

I upgraded the kernel from 4.3.0.43-generic to 4.15.0.22-generic ( both 64 x86) but no change

If I wait long enough I get messages such as

[52.0.88926] watchdog:BUG: soft lockup - cpu#0 stuck for 22s! [plymouthhd:1739] etc

will try reinstalling a different version om Mint (Cinnamon) else I'll try another distro to see if its perhaps something in the laptops BIOS - I did change UEFI to Legacy - perhaps there's some other setting.

Laptop boots so fast that its hard to get to its BIOS (F3 key) ditto for getting into Mint's boot options.
gonzo01

Post by gonzo01 »

booted from mint 18.3 cinnamon live dvd into compatability mode

loads fine but get the following

"Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage.

There could be a problem with your drivers or some other issue. It is recommended that you only use this mode for troubleshooting purposes"

-- laptop video is GeForce GTX 1050/4GB GDDR5
gonzo01

Post by gonzo01 »

gave up on Mint - installed MX Linux17-X64

all shutdown/reboot/logout options work without problems

will come back to Mint at alater date

presently just want new laptop operational and Windows free.

Return to “Installation & Boot”