Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mirkoj
Level 1
Level 1

install on 2nd disk, ignore existing win disk

Post by mirkoj » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:13 pm

A bit messy title but here is idea and problem.
I have win 10 on an nvme ssd drive at the moment.
Plan is to add another standard ssd drive and put mint on it BUT I don't wanna have dual boot just to use bios UEFI manager to select bootable drive.
That is rather easy if I disconnect win10 disk, install min t on new drive and plug win10 disk again, I can simply use UEFI manager for selection and OSs have no idea one of the other, they behave like they are only drive in system booting wise.

But the problem is that nvme ssd is under the mbo sitting inside fractal node 202, ie a bit pain to take all apart and remove and put back again.

So I was wondering if ther is any way to plug new ssd, and install mint only on that drive without any dual boot, detect win10 and other crazy stuff. Just install on new SSD and ignore any other drives completely.

Makes sense?
Possible?

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: install on 2nd disk, ignore existing win disk

Post by catweazel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:25 pm

mirkoj wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:13 pm
So I was wondering if ther is any way to plug new ssd, and install mint only on that drive without any dual boot, detect win10 and other crazy stuff. Just install on new SSD and ignore any other drives completely.
You should be able to choose the Something Else install option, partition the extra drive and choose that drive for the bootloader. Just be sure to read the screens fully as you could miss it.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

rbmorse
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rbmorse » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:07 pm

catweazel wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:25 pm
mirkoj wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:13 pm
You should be able to choose the Something Else install option, partition the extra drive and choose that drive for the bootloader. Just be sure to read the screens fully as you could miss it.
That's what I thought, too, but when I tried to install Mint to SDB (and specified SDB as the disk for the bootloader) the installer still put GRUB and the boot files on the sda2 partition along with the Windows boot files. If it works for you let us know so I can update my knowledge base.
Hope is not a plan

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:00 am

rbmorse wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:07 pm
If it works for you let us know so I can update my knowledge base.
It works fine for me...

Try clicking on sdb then back to sda.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

mirkoj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mirkoj » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:15 am

so in theory if I select device for boot loader to be this second disk with mint installation it should completely ignore 1st win10 disk, right?

also any tips and tricks for custom partitions and stuff, it is convenient when installation makes all by itself :)

mirkoj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mirkoj » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:55 am

At the end figured that itis much safer to spend some extra time disconnecting everyhing.

So now got original win 10 on on nvme ssd and mint on ssd. And bios uefi manager used for selection so all works perfectly fine.

One good surprise is that this time after installation mint booted right away, no need for that grub editing as I had to do with 18.3
Seems like everything is moving in more friendly direction :)
Still a lot of stuf to sort out but one by one.
Thank you guys!

Return to “Installation & Boot”