Dell laptop (UEFI) GParted doesn't see Windows? [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Dell laptop (UEFI) GParted doesn't see Windows? [SOLVED]

Post by momist »

Hi. I'm trying to re-size the Windows 10 partition on my new Dell XPS 15 9570. As this is UEFI I'm unfamiliar with the situation. I've got as far as unencrypting the C: drive, switched off Secure Boot and Fastboot, and reset the startup order to USB then Windows. Windows boots normally. If I put in the bootable GParted USB it will boot that and runs GParted. The problem is that GParted only sees the USB as sda and 'refresh devices' doesn't make the Windows partitions on the SSD appear. I've found that I could use the Windows utility to shrink the volume, but if GParted can't see the result, I'm no nearer.
Either I'm using the GParted live session wrong, or it's something to do with the UEFI system I know little about.
Can anyone advise please? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
michael louwe

Re: Dell laptop (UEFI) GParted doesn't see Windows?

Post by michael louwe »

@ momist, .......
momist wrote:.
Your Dell XPS 15 likely has Win 10 preinstalled in RAID disk mode using the proprietary Intel RST driver = other bootable systems cannot detect the disk unless they have this driver in them, eg the Live GParted or LM 19 USB or Win 7 Install DVD.

If you want dual-boot Linux, ... https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncat ... operation/ (solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation without the need to reinstall Win 10 in AHCI disk mode - then install Linux alongside Win 10)
https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-De ... 278/page/2
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dell laptop (UEFI) GParted doesn't see Windows? [SOLVED]

Post by momist »

Thank you Michael for those links.
Yes, the answer turned out to be:
Set Win10 into SafeMode
Reboot
Change from RAID mode into AHCI mode
Reboot
Set boot order to see the USB (doesn't stick)
Boot into GParted live and it works. Set up the partitions you want (I had already used the Windows tool to shrink the C: partition)
Reboot into Windows
Take Win10 out of SafeMode. We are leaving it permanently in AHCI - don't switch back!
Set boot order to use USB again.
Boot into Linux19 install disk and continue the installation.

Of course, this was not as straight forward as it sounds, I had already decrypted the windows drive and switched off FastBoot and BitLocker, both of which are essential before you begin. Even so, I got into a mess at one point and ended up having to repair Windows using their system for RESET. Then I had to start again.
Good luck to anyone else doing this.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”