[SOLVED] Availability of terminal in newer distros

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rootjim
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Availability of terminal in newer distros

Post by rootjim »

I've been a user of the command line since Dos 2.0 and Slackware 2.0 (which wasn't easy to install) and Solaris circa 1998. I'm skeptical about installing distros newer than Linux Mint 17.2 because when I tried them via persistent Live USB I was not able to pull up a terminal. I'm aware of apt-get install gnome-terminal, but that's from the command line. Some of the forum listings about trouble getting to a terminal on these distros labelled Solved didn't make it clear what the solution was without a command line. Are there sub-versions (cinnamon mate Xfce etc ) of distros from Mint 18 on with simplified access to a terminal? Im seriously a newbie to Linux without a terminal. Thank you,. : )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Availability of terminal in newer distros

Post by gm10 »

I think Android is probably the only Linux distro on the planet that doesn't have a terminal pre-installed. There certainly isn't a Linux Mint or LMDE version that doesn't have one, so I have not the slightest hint of an idea what you are talking about.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rootjim wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:17 am Are there sub-versions (cinnamon mate Xfce etc ) of distros from Mint 18 on with simplified access to a terminal?
All of them. There is always a button on the Favourites section of the menu, and the standard keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-T.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

All versions of Linux Mint have terminal installed by default. Look in the panel/toolbar on the left hand side, there should be an icon for it. Otherwise, it may be found in the Menu Accessories or Administrator. I've never run anything from persistent USB, but I can't imagine any reason why terminal wouldn't be available there like it is everywhere else.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
rootjim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rootjim »

I had windows10 but I crashed it and reinstalled window7. Since then I haven't any terminal startup problems with ANY Mint distro, maybe because Im a little more careful. SOLVED. ----------
rootjim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rootjim »

Oops! Thank you for that information.. I think I have been impatient because after reading more about installs I haven't had terminal issues with any distribution again. SOLVED. ----
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

rootjim wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:44 am Oops! Thank you for that information.. I think I have been impatient because after reading more about installs I haven't had terminal issues with any distribution again. SOLVED. ----
You are asking good questions--
Being careful is a respected trait on the forums.
+1
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Installation & Boot”