Can’t get past login screen - crashes(graphical?)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ryanwe
Level 1
Level 1

Can’t get past login screen - crashes(graphical?)

Post by Ryanwe » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Hi, I’m trying to install Linux mint cinnamon off a USB and when it gets to the login screen I use username: mint to login, then the top left area of the screen artifices up then boots me back to the login screen
https://imgur.com/gallery/YDkcqWS

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Can’t get past login screen - crashes(graphical?)

Post by jimallyn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:41 am

The only reason you would have to use a login during install is if you allow the screensaver to activate and lock the screen during the install. You could go into the settings and tell it not to lock the screen, or just wiggle the mouse now and then to keep it awake until the install is finished.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Ryanwe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can’t get past login screen - crashes(graphical?)

Post by Ryanwe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:35 am

Hi, thanks for the response.

The problem happens once I login, not when leaving it idle. I've managed to get past this by running mint in compatability mode and tried updating the nvidia drivers. This didn't work and still has the issue when i try to login to the OS when not in compatability mode. The screenshot I provided is what happens after I enter my password into the system.

EDIT: To reword the first post, I was loading linux mint for the first time off a live usb so I could install it

Return to “Installation & Boot”