Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
XP Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

turn on the laptop one day and it's BRICKED <SOLVED>

Post by XP Refugee »

MULTIPLE problems over a week. First I wanted to install Windows but the install disk does NOT start up. Oh well, later...then yesterday I shut down to restart because of some weirdness with flickering system manager not opening processes and the computer WILL NOT boot back up. Long story short...can't install Windows, no disk drive starting, tried boot repair, does nothing, CANNOT reinstall Mint, it gets a couple steps in and then just is endlessly working going nowhere. Cannot format the hard drive, no command for that. CANNOT delete anything ON the hard drive, delete is GRAYED out. Cannot use Gparted, endless scanning/working again going nowhere.
here's the pastbin url
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/t6Jp6qqnC4/
any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated as this laptop is not even 3 yrs old yet and I've had crappy little netbooks that worked for 7. (on a side note, two of those will not run unless plugged in, they boot then click, shut down. This after installing Mint on each).
thanks for any and all help
Last edited by XP Refugee on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Re: turn on the laptop one day and it's BRICKED

Post by jglen490 »

Now that we know what doesn't seem to work - Windows. And now that we know what you have in terms of disks, partition tables, and filesystems (pardon me, but a mess!). How about telling us what you want to have as an end game (i.e, dual boot, single boot, Windows, Mint).

Personally, I don't touch dual booting with a long pole, but there are lots of very knowledgeable people here, in that regard.

It would also be useful to know the make and model of your hardware, and whether you have touched any of the UEFI/BIOS settings. And so, I think it would be most useful to know those pieces of information first.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

XP Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XP Refugee »

at this point? ANY operating system. Originally I wanted to do another dual boot, it's working just fine on the ThinkPad I have. And I'm sure I've messed with too many settings in BIOS. Problem might be in sdb2 Windows boot. The boot flag sector for the linux boot up seems to have disappeared. I can't rule out a cheap part going bad in the Acer E5 575 laptop. Can't run Gparted, comes back with an input/output error. I did a frugal install of Puppy linux LxPup but it won't boot up either. I did not start messing with the BIOS until I shut it down and then it would not boot back up. Sometimes displaying a "no bootable media" error. If the disks, partition tables, and filesystems are a mess, I don't see how it was my doing, I just let Mint install. Wiping Windows as it chose, how it chose.

so what is so terribly wrong with dual boot?

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

it can be messy .. it can be problematic, as well .. the windwoes bit, that is ..

could you start, again, from scratch :?:

if so, will the LinuxMint Live Media still see that 1Tb drive ?.
- - will the program Gparted still allow you to delete / modify the existing partitions ?.
you could, use that program, to delete all the existing partitions, & then create:
- 2 - 3 partitions for an Windows system
- 1 -2 partitions for an Linux system.

post back here, if you can get that far.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

Sometimes it takes more than one tool to un-screw a bad situation.

If gparted (assuming you use "sudo gparted") won;t work, you could try to boot to the Live USB, open a terminal and use "sudo fdisk /dev/sd<whatever drive>" to wipe the partitioning. If that is successful, then use either "sudo fdisk" or "sudo gparted" to rebuild the partition table for the drive. Windows SHOULD work under UEFI, Mint WILL work under UEFI, so you could use the "gpt" partition table.

If you can get back into UEFI, I would recommend the following UEFI settings:
1) UEFI (not Legacy, not CSM)
2) Disable Secure boot
3) Set SATA to AHCI (Not RST/RAID)

That should get you to a simple and useful basis for proceeding.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

XP Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XP Refugee »

ok, the terminal use might have saved the day, suppose it might still but at this point I believe I've got a huge unallocated block on the hard drive. Been in messing around thru Mint Live usb, IF it worked (that would not let me delete any file/folder or format). Let's get OFF the dual boot topic at this point
I want ONLY to have ONE OS that will boot UP when I hit the power button. At this point the green Acer logo comes up but hangs for a while (even F2 and F12 are MAJORLY lagging and take a while to respond.
I'll set it back to UEFI. I wish there was some way to put the whole Bios back to default. I've clicked that in a couple places it's on offer.
I will try some terminal commands and let you know. I can't even reinstall Mint with that usb stick. It just hangs up then hits some stopping point (don't recall WHICH, I've seen 100 error msgs from 3 OS attempts...in fact I did a frugal install of LxPup but can't get that to start AT ALL. Wish Boot Repair had worked
I'll get back to you when I summon the patience to deal with this mess again. Thanks muchly for the input.

XP Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XP Refugee »

AHA! I have found that neat little program called Disks. It's currently deleting partition 2 (which will apparently take 8 hours?). Partition 1 is 537 meg and I suppose is the boot info. I could wipe that too I guess but not sure how to set a boot flag with Disks. Was pretty clear in Gparted program. More to come (after 8+ hours :)

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

smgordon1259 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:09 pm
you can use a USB external Hard drive for windows
At least the most recent Windows 10 will refuse to install on a USB device.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

Fix one problem at a time. Start with fixing UEFI. Then move to clearing your drives. Then set up your drives with gpt partitioning Then figure out whether you want to dual boot (and figure out why).

If you dual boot, remember Windows never went to Kindergarten and doesn't know how to share. So install it first, with an EFI partition. Then install Mint and put the Grub boot files into the same EFI partition. If Windows decides not to play nice, kick it to the curb and go with a single boot Mint install.

If you single boot Mint, install it with an EFI partition, and put the Grub boot files into that EFI partition - NOT the MBR.

<soap box> Quite frankly, unless you boot one OS in a VM on a machine with sufficient resources to do that, dual booting makes no sense on a single machine </soap box>

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Back about 3 or 4 posts he said to forget Dual boot, he just wants Linux.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

XP Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XP Refugee »

not at ALL sure about this gpt partition stuff and especially the EFI partition, does Mint offer that option in the install from Mint live ???? gonna have to do more research I see.

lurking in the backround is WHY this happened in the first place. I've run Mint for a couple years now with no problem on a Dell Optiplex 780. And now this...so what? at any time in the future the boot sector might just DISAPPEAR and the puter will fail to boot again?

the "windows installed on an external hard drive" seems a good way to go, but back up which drivers? and if ya got linux on the laptop hard drive how do ya disconnect it to run the windows external? PLUS, what's with the Bios part of this plan? you mean set Bios to boot first off an external? USB Hdd or something?

Really, I'm having no problem with the Thinkpad running dual boot, at least so far. I'd like to hear from anyone else that's run dual boot for a while. Gonna have to DuckDuck that one for more info.

missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

XP Refugee wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 am
not at ALL sure about this gpt partition stuff and especially the EFI partition, does Mint offer that option in the install from Mint live ???? gonna have to do more research I see.

lurking in the backround is WHY this happened in the first place. I've run Mint for a couple years now with no problem on a Dell Optiplex 780. And now this...so what? at any time in the future the boot sector might just DISAPPEAR and the puter will fail to boot again?

the "windows installed on an external hard drive" seems a good way to go, but back up which drivers? and if ya got linux on the laptop hard drive how do ya disconnect it to run the windows external? PLUS, what's with the Bios part of this plan? you mean set Bios to boot first off an external? USB Hdd or something?

Really, I'm having no problem with the Thinkpad running dual boot, at least so far. I'd like to hear from anyone else that's run dual boot for a while. Gonna have to DuckDuck that one for more info.
fwiw, i'm on a dell 780 as i type this running mint 19.3. i had a dual boot set up with windows 10 and lubuntu on here a while back but one of the stupid windows updates screwed up the boot menu. after getting grub repaired with the help of the folks on the ubuntu forums i wiped that ignorant windows 10 from machine and played with lubuntu for a bit more. now computer has mint and runs awesomely well.

i think what most people's complaint about dual booting is that windows updates tend to mess with grub.

have tried the dual boot thing several times and after a while it makes me realize what's the sense of that when you can only use 1 OS at a time anyway.

XP Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XP Refugee »

after 8 hours, main partition wiped and clear. Doing the Mint live install I get this...
The efi file system creation in partition #1 of SCS11 (0,0,0)(sda) failed.

I keep wondering if this cheap Acer E5 has a failing processor or something. It's taking FAR LONGER to go thru every step of this Mint install for one thing.

I click OK on the error message and nothing happens. Click close x and nothing.
Try to format that small #1 partition and get my 1000th error message...Error formatting volume...Failure to probe the device

It's a $350 lappie, with 2 1/2 yrs use but at this point I'm thinking of sailing it into the ether.

Well, for what it's worth, I would not put dual boot linux on any 10 machine. Just an older win, maybe 7 or even xp. I have lots of data from the 20+ yrs of running Windows that I would occasionally like to access or use in that OS. Any windows I have won't be going online.

oh, and trying gparted in Terminal commands got me the same input/output failure error

XP Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XP Refugee »

got a crazy idea and fished the 10 yr old Acer Netbook out of the trash, pulled the hard drive, put it in this E5 and WHAM, I am good to go, put Mint 19.1 xfce on it and am testing it.

I always suspected some part on this laptop failed. I also now have wifi again.

how do I add SOLVED to the topic?

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

If you open this thread & look at your first post you will see a pencil icon at the right hand side of that post.
This is the Edit button.
Click on that & then add the word Solved to your original thread title..
edit.png
edit.png (3.95 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-76-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

XP Refugee wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:28 pm
got a crazy idea and fished the 10 yr old Acer Netbook out of the trash, pulled the hard drive, put it in this E5 and WHAM, I am good to go, put Mint 19.1 xfce on it and am testing it.

I always suspected some part on this laptop failed. I also now have wifi again.

how do I add SOLVED to the topic?
Congrats on solving your problem. Sometimes the simple solutions, just work ...

Return to “Installation & Boot”