Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
codifex
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Shutdown problems - Failed to wait for process: Protocol error

Post by codifex »

Same problem on my PC, the error message is shown instead of the the graphical "washing machine" shutdown screen before the PC turns off.

Tests revealed that the problem also occurs in a Linux Mint VirtualBox VM running on this PC. However, the error message is not shown in the virtual machine unless you press the Esc key while shutting down in order to show the status messages. The error messages are the last messages shown before the virtual machine turns off (the window closes).

Possibly more/all (?) systems are affected by the problem, but for some reason the error message might be covered by the graphical shutdown animation.

ericj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ericj »

Maybe you aren't running Mint, I never see any graphic such as a "washing machine" ... these messages don't seem to affect anything else.

codifex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by codifex »

I am running Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" (Cinnamon edition), which includes an animated Plymouth splash/shutdown screen (animated Mint logo, "Washing Machine", see https://linuxmint.com/rel_tricia_cinnamon_whatsnew.php for details).

Prior to the casper/finalrd update the animated shutdown screen was shown until the machine turned off. After the update, during shutdown the error message is shown instead of the animated shutdown screen on the PC. In the virtual machine, the animated shutdown screen is still shown. By pressing the Esc key, it's possible to switch between the graphical shutdown screen and the status messages. In the status messages the error message is shown.

ericj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ericj »

Oh, OK ... I didn't think it was that you were referring to, was about to stuff some laundry into my USB drive :lol:

Seems this error text thing is a non-issue that should be resolved eventually.

shockedquartz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shockedquartz »

Also having the same problem.
At shutdown or reboot:

Code: Select all

shutdown[1] Failed to wait for process: Protocol error 
I checked my apt history and casper and finalrd were updated around the same time it showed up.

Code: Select all

/var/log/apt# egrep -i -B5 -A5 'casper|final' *
history.log-Start-Date: 2020-02-02  16:27:37
history.log-Commandline: /usr/sbin/synaptic --hide-main-window --non-interactive --parent-window-id o -o Synaptic::closeZvt=true --set-selections-file /tmp/tmpl89dsnf6
history.log-Requested-By: 
history.log:Install: ...... finalrd:amd64 .... casper:amd64 ........
history.log-End-Date: 2020-02-02  16:30:09
Are they safe to remove or downgrade??

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello shockedquartz,

you can remove casper and finalrd (best in the synaptic package manager), but since the systems are still stable, you can also just ignore the messages and wait until it will be solved by an update .

ericj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ericj »

I've now noticed another minor issue which may or may not be connected to this (which is still happening).

When I shut down or reboot it takes forever (as in 20-30 seconds) before anything happens ... tone or desktop disappearing. First couple times this happened I actually clicked the Restart again thinking maybe I didn't fully click it but it wasn't that.

Anyone else in this thread noticing this?

meco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meco »

Have the same issue as TS and it started around the same period. When I reboot or shutdown my PC this message shows a split second on the screen. The system does not hang.

I have searched online and found some topics, but could not find an actual bug report or something. Does anyone know if this bug is confirmed by the developers of the related software or OS?

Return to “Installation & Boot”