Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
javixo
Level 1
Level 1

Install LinuxMint on Macbook 2009

Post by javixo »

Is it possible to install Linuxmint on a 2009 Macbook, as the only system, totally deleting macOS, without using refind ?. I would like to know if it can be done by totally erasing the hard disk from the installer and if it can give problems to start in Linux. Thanks

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install LinuxMint on Macbook 2009

Post by ibbill »

Hi javixo there is a site with a tutorial on how to install mint on your computer also notice one on the right side of the page that also explains how.

https://www.zealfortechnology.com/2018/ ... -2009.html

I would check and see if the computer will handle 32 bit or 64 bit hope this helps.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

The tuto should mostly work, one detail though: it's for a Mac Mini, while the OP has a MacBook.
These should be the specs of the machine : https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macb ... specs.html
If so, it is fully 64-bit so you can go with a standard Mint install.
If you single boot, no need for refind if you dont want it. Just use a standard install (which will use grub) and it will work.

As in the case of the Mac Mini, after install you may have troubles with the video and the wifi. For video, I would stick with the default nouveau driver. If you try to install nvidia, it's supposed to have better performance but you have a chance to get a black screen after reboot, or the brightness keys may not work.
For the wifi, try the default bcmwl-kernel-source in the driver manager. If it works, stick with it. Only if it does not should you try the other driver b43-something.
If you find the system not super responsive, consider the Mate or Xfce editions, which are lighter than the Cinnamon edition.

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill »

fabien85 thank you Missed the Mac Mini and MacBook apologize to javixo sorry about that.

I know for that B43 for wireless on my real old Dell I used the following to install the wireless.

This one worked for me On my Dell 1501

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
There is also another site in case the above does not work for you.

http://linuxg.net/how-to-fix-broadcom-b ... inux-mint/

fabien85 thanks again.

javixo again sorry about that.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

Pulegium
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pulegium »

Expect some graphics problems .
I have Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS , Kernel: 5.3.0-42-generic ( and previously Elementary OS ) installed along side El Capitan on a late 2008 aluminium MacBook with the same GeForce 9400M graphics card as yours .
I initially used the proprietary Nvidia driver but had problems with a row of constantly flickering pixels along the bottom of the screen .
Switching to the nouveau driver cured that for many months but recently I started experiencing frequent freeze ups of the system after a kernel update . Switching back to the Nvidia driver cured the freezing although now I have some screen tearing ( probably fixable but I haven't really tried yet ) , I cannot control screen brightness and the row of flickering pixels is back , albeit only occasionally now . When it comes to graphics this has been one of the more temperamental Macs I've used with Linux .
Not a Mint install I know but I suspect your experience might be similar .
Please let us know how Mint does on your MacBook when you have set it up .

javixo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by javixo »

Thank you all for the answers. What I will do is make a hard drive change and try to install Linux cleanly and following your advice. I do not know what is wrong with my profile, notifications of new responses do not appear and I have been slow to see them.

Return to “Installation & Boot”