Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
elmarts
Level 3
Level 3

[solved] reverting from 20 to 19.3 via timeshift

Post by elmarts »

Since Mint 20 is giving me problems with gnucash, updating, etc. I'm considering reverting back to a timeshift 19.3 backup. Is there anything I should be aware of when I do this - it's my first time attempting to actually "use" timeshift to back up.
Last edited by elmarts on Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Elmar
Dual boot win 10 & Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64
MATE 1.22.2
twerq
Level 2
Level 2

Re: reverting from 20 to 19.3 via timeshift

Post by twerq »

Hi elmarts,
elmarts wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:00 pm
Is there anything I should be aware of when I do this
Just today I restored the LM19.3 and then returned back to the LM20 with Timeshift snapshots.
Before restoring anything I backed up my home catalogue with all dot files and the rest. Although in theory this is not required.

Then I restored my snapshot with 19.3LM on my main partition over current installation of LM20. This is how it supposed to be done. I noticed the / filesystem was mounted read-only (don't know why). But I logged in through text console and remounted it read-write. And then system started GUI. At the same time I noticed the system was restored not completely the same it was before. I don't know what exactly was wrong but my "passwords and keys" application couldn't to show keyring contents.

Then I loaded the system from usb-stick in live session. You should prepare working live usb-stick! I formatted my main partition <<< Do you remember to backup your home first? And the restored LM19.3 snapshot from live session. During restoration I created user catalogue and extracted tar with my home to it. After restore was completed I rebooted to my LM19.3. It was the same as before.

I returned to the LM20 back in the same way as I restored LM19.3.
ThaCrip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThaCrip »

Personally I prefer Clonezilla as it runs from bootable media and it gives you a 100% restore back to the point of when you initially imaged it. so anything changed after that will be gone. so even if a upgrade to v20 completely hosed your system, with Clonezilla it will be like that never happened. but you need a additional hard drive (or partition or some external device) to store the image file and it does not require EXT4 like Timeshift does either.

I realize my comments won't help you in your current situation but I suggest it in the future.
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

ThaCrip wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:20 pm
Personally I prefer Clonezilla as it runs from bootable media and it gives you a 100% restore back to the point of when you initially imaged it. so anything changed after that will be gone. so even if a upgrade to v20 completely hosed your system, with Clonezilla it will be like that never happened. but you need a additional hard drive (or partition or some external device) to store the image file and it does not require EXT4 like Timeshift does either.

I realize my comments won't help you in your current situation but I suggest it in the future.
I used Clonezilla for years, and now use Foxclone. Made by one of our very own Members.
As for the OP, my message is to expect the Upgrade to fail, then if it doesn't great.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

ThaCrip wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:20 pm

+1for Clonezilla
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
elmarts
Level 3
Level 3

Post by elmarts »

twerq wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm
...Then I loaded the system from usb-stick in live session. You should prepare working live usb-stick!
Hmmm, you're saying that one should not attempt to restore from a timeshift image while running the OS that is actually to be replaced, I take it. Only restore via timeshift when booting from external media (DVD, USB, or whatever). Did I understand you correctly? Also, I should make a complete copy of my home directory via the backup tool, since that may be destroyed.
- Elmar
MATE 1.22.2
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

elmarts wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:09 am
twerq wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm
...Then I loaded the system from usb-stick in live session. You should prepare working live usb-stick!
Hmmm, you're saying that one should not attempt to restore from a timeshift image while running the OS that is actually to be replaced, I take it. Only restore via timeshift when booting from external media (DVD, USB, or whatever). Did I understand you correctly? Also, I should make a complete copy of my home directory via the backup tool, since that may be destroyed.
You can try from the OS and if it fails, do it from live. I suggest having Timeshift configured as the picture so all but you data in Home is included in the snapshot.
Ignores-Data-In-Home.jpg
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
twerq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twerq »

elmarts wrote:
you're saying that one should not attempt to restore from a timeshift image while running the OS that is actually to be replaced, I take it
It's not necessary. But in my experience I prefer to restore to clean formatted partition. Therefore I have to run the OS not that is actually to be replaced.
elmarts wrote:
Also, I should make a complete copy of my home directory via the backup tool, since that may be destroyed.
If you format your partition with new filesystem then old filesystem will gone. So you should take care of your files in home because Timeshift don't care about it by default.
Else your files will not be touched by Timeshift if you restore snapshot over current filesystem.

I have not investigated this situation deeply. I just noticed that the application "Password and keys" did not work correctly if you restore the system over running one. So my option was to restore on clean filesystem. And it worked.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I just reverted back to LM19.3 Mate from LM20 Mate via a Timeshift backup.
I was running LM20, then opened Timeshift, then selected the LM19.3 (tricia) backup, then clicked Restore.
Timeshift restore comleted, laptop rebooted.
Flawless, everything works fine.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
elmarts
Level 3
Level 3

Post by elmarts »

I just bit the bullet and did the reversion - and as you say, it went flawlessly. thanks for the hand holding. Now running Release Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 64-bit Kernel Linux 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64 MATE 1.22.2 :) Gotta change my sig though.
- Elmar
MATE 1.22.2

Return to “Installation & Boot”