[SOLVED] Install dual boot Windows 7 and Mint mate 20 problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

[SOLVED] Install dual boot Windows 7 and Mint mate 20 problem

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello,
The setup is 3 Windows NTFS partitions and extended partition. Under extended partition I created ext4 partition which was chosen to install Mint as /. No other separate partitions are created. Installation gives an error asking to make an efi partition for boot loader. I created separate fat32 400MB partiton but there is no option to make it bootable and EFI.
I will try using efi as the mount point for this fat32 partition.
The computer laptop is from 2015 How do I proceed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Install dual boot Windows 7 and Mint mate 20 problem

Post by linux-rox »

You're booting the live session in UEFI mode. You need to use BIOS/legacy mode. That's an option somewhere in the firmware boot menu.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I had to do the same in my current Win7/Mint 19.1 dual boot system. It would only work if i picked 'legacy' in the Bios options, under UEFI it was a no go. This might be in relation to the new hardware (mobo) and running Win 7 on it.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Go into BIOS and make sure that the boot mode is set to legacy. You are getting this problem because your BIOS has UEFI as the first boot option.
I created separate fat32 400MB partiton but there is no option to make it bootable and EFI.
Delete it - not needed.

During install choose the 'something else' option and point the installer at the ext4 partition you created and tell it to use it for /.

Note - from the information provided, win7 was installed in legacy mode on a legacy/msdos drive - you need to install mint in the same mode.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:50 am Go into BIOS and make sure that the boot mode is set to legacy. You are getting this problem because your BIOS has UEFI as the first boot option.
I created separate fat32 400MB partiton but there is no option to make it bootable and EFI.
Delete it - not needed.

During install choose the 'something else' option and point the installer at the ext4 partition you created and tell it to use it for /.

Note - from the information provided, win7 was installed in legacy mode on a legacy/msdos drive - you need to install mint in the same mode.
Thank you. That solved it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Installation & Boot”