Clean viruses before a 'Windows 10 / Linux Mint' dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Borix
Level 1
Level 1

Clean viruses before a 'Windows 10 / Linux Mint' dual boot

Post by Borix »

Hello,

I bought a Mini PC (from China on AliExpress website) and I've just received it. It has a 256Gb SSD drive :
- Partition #1, NTFS, 100Gb, with Windows 10 pre-installed (UEFI ?)
- Partition #2, NTFS, 150Gb, free
I want to make a dual boot with Windows 10 and Linux Mint.

Up to now, I only switch on the Mini PC (and everything looks OK), but without connecting it to Internet / to my local network and without pluging any USB key/drive.
I merely wonder how I can be sure that there isn't yet any viruses on this mini PC before doing a clean dual boot ?

Here are some of the 'maybe stupid' ideas I have in mind but I would like some advise :
- Reinstall windows myself with an ISO file downloaded on Microsoft site ?
- Use a LiveUSB of Linux Mint, and write 0 on all the SSD disk with the dd command (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda) ?

Maybe I am a bit paranoid... but if you have some recommendations I would appreciate them !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Borix
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 4.6.7
Linux Kernel 5.4.0-59-generic
Laptop Dell XPS17
Intel Core i5-2450M 2x2.5GHz / 4Go RAM
Graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Clean viruses before a 'Windows 10 / Linux Mint' dual boot

Post by Moonstone Man »

Borix wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:28 pm - Use a LiveUSB of Linux Mint, and write 0 on all the SSD disk with the dd command (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda) ?
That's a marvellous way to wreck the life of your SSD.

Anyway, if there are any nefarious things on the system, you're not going to be certain they're cleaned out by testing from Linux, which doesn't suffer the same issues as Windows and is a hit and miss affair. The only thing you can do is run some intensive scans and tests from Windows... or throw the SSD out. The preferred approach really depends on the level and depth of your paranoia but we don't provide psychological services here.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Wouldn't something as simple as booting Mint from a DVD/USB stick and formatting the drive do the trick?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Wouldn't something as simple as booting Mint from a DVD/USB stick and formatting the drive do the trick?
Formatting the drive would also destroy his existing brand new Windows 10 at the same time...DAMIEN
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:22 am Formatting the drive would also destroy his existing brand new Windows 10 at the same time...DAMIEN
I'm fairly certain that that's the intent :)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I'm fairly certain that that's the intent :)
It would certainly be my intent to destroy Windows completely, but i dont think that the OP has this as his intent at this particular time...lol...DAMIEN
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:28 am ... i dont think that the OP has this as his intent at this particular time...lol...DAMIEN
Sure it is.
... mini PC before doing a clean dual boot?
The real problem is far worse than the poster suspects. Clearing and reformatting everything won't kill a rootkit, nor will it fix a tampered-with UEFI/BIOS. That leads me to wonder why on earth anyone would buy a computer from a country they don't trust, of all places.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

That leads me to wonder why on earth anyone would buy a computer from a country they don't trust, of all places.
Bwahahahahahahhaahh...lol...That is the best wonderment i have heard today...lol...DAMIEN
Borix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Borix »

Hello,

Thanks all for your comments.

To Damien : why I bought a computer from a country I don't trust ? Simply because if one buy an Intel NUC it is 25% more expensive and also produced in China (even if Intel don't tell you that before you buy their NUC)...

If I sum-up :
- I can reformat the SSD drive and reinstall Windows 10 if I have a doubt on the Windows already installed
- For rootkit : what can I do ? Before or after reinstalling Windows ? How : with a tool under Windows or a LiveUSB Linux ?
- For tampered-with UEFI/BIOS : what can I do knowing the BIOS seems to be from 'American Megatrends' ?
Borix
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 4.6.7
Linux Kernel 5.4.0-59-generic
Laptop Dell XPS17
Intel Core i5-2450M 2x2.5GHz / 4Go RAM
Graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M

Return to “Installation & Boot”