Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
moose1207
Level 1
Level 1

Remove Windows Partition Expand Linux [SOLVED]

Post by moose1207 »

Hello everyone, Similar to many other threads I've read, I wish to expand my current Linux partition. I am still a relative new Linux user (4 yrs) but have gotten more comfortable with the Heirachy of the file system as well as using the shell prompt more.

Anyway I have decided to finally get rid of windows completely. I was only sticking with it for gaming but now that gaming on Linux has been much improved I no longer need to keep windows around. I would like to get rid of the partition but I'm not sure if it will be easy or possible to expand Linux afterwards.

My current configuration when I look in DIsks is:

/dev/sde1 (NTFS Microsoft Recovery Partition 576MB)
/dev/sde2 (NTFS Windows installation 62GB)
/dev/sde3 (EFI System Fat32 Boot 105 MB)
/dev/sde4 (ext4 Linux Partition 187 GB)

From what I have read to expand Linux the partitions would have to be next to one another. Would it be better to do a fresh install from a live CD and format the whole drive? Could I load a timeshift backup after that? Or can I just simply delete the partitions and it will work?

Thanks in advance !
Last edited by moose1207 on Thu May 06, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Remove Windows Partition Expand Linux

Post by Flemur »

moose1207 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:40 pm
/dev/sde1 (NTFS Microsoft Recovery Partition 576MB)
/dev/sde2 (NTFS Windows installation 62GB)
/dev/sde3 (EFI System Fat32 Boot 105 MB)
/dev/sde4 (ext4 Linux Partition 187 GB)

From what I have read to expand Linux the partitions would have to be next to one another. Would it be better to do a fresh install from a live CD and format the whole drive?
That sounds like a good idea; otherwise you'll be moving that EFI partition to do the resize.
Could I load a timeshift backup after that? Or can I just simply delete the partitions and it will work?
Did you mean "restore", not backup?

I dunno anything about timeshift, but with my (g)rsync backup method it's pretty easy to replace a new install with a saved backup of a customized installation (just copy the files and label the partitions), let the installer worry about EFI and grub.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
moose1207
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Remove Windows Partition Expand Linux

Post by moose1207 »

OK I'll do a fresh install then. Thanks for the help.