Can't get repaired laptop to boot with my SSD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't get repaired laptop to boot with my SSD

Post by rene »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 pm The motherboard in your system was replaced [ ... ]
Don't for a minute believe it (to have been necessary, at least) --- but I'll clearly immediately grant permission to you to not for a minute believe me when I say such :-)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

rene wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:54 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 pm The motherboard in your system was replaced [ ... ]
Don't for a minute believe it (to have been necessary, at least) --- but I'll clearly immediately grant permission to you to not for a minute believe me when I say such :-)
What's wrong? Do you not like the taste of crow?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

No, I actually mean it. You before sending the system back confirmed that all was working fine (-ish, only a longer bootup than you were used to) with the by System76 supplied Ubuntu install. That basically rules out anything on the order of needing a new motherboard --- and you'll note that they in fact said that as to the situation you sent it in for now nothing has changed.

That is to say that I really, as in not just as a discussion thingy, expect that they are either simply lying to you to get you off their collective backs while making you happy with their extensive repair, or at best that they did provide you with a newer board-version if they last time perhaps also provided you with a newer GPU-card version due to having the idea that perhaps the two didn't work nicely together causing the Live system issue with the fan. But again, as you note, they said nothing has in fact changed, and hence me not believing for a minute that that was an actual functional repair.

But hey, everyone involved is happy that you are happy at least (well, a bit more, for now) :-)
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:19 pm Well, I heard back from system 76 and, basically, they are blowing me off since the Ubuntu disk is working fine. Their suggestion is to do a clean reinstall. I challenged them on that. I also questioned that they only replaced the graphics card since the computer wouldn't even power up after it died.

It's going to be a freezing cold day in Hell before I EVER buy anything from System 76 again, especially considering the lousy customer service I've been getting from them!
Is it really System 76 fault if you try another OS and it doesn't work ?
If someone, for instance, was to get a laptop that had Windows on it, then tried unsuccessfully to put another OS on it - I wouldn't expect the vendor to take it back.
System 76 also only give warranty on the hardware, not the software (including not the supplied OS)
https://system76.com/warranty

Yes, definitely, with the hardware problem within the warranty period, that is down to them to fix it, but surely you wouldn't expect them to fix something that wasn't broken if you use their supplied OS.

(No I don't work for System76 - in fact I never heard of them till I saw this thread.)
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

I'd take the existing boot setup out of the equation totally and boot from a Grub rescue flashdrive. Mine works with legacy or UEFI.
It's much easier to fix an iffy boot from a running system.

See viewtopic.php?f=42&t=348629
A 5 minute job to create this.

Bodge99
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

gittiest personITW wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:16 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:19 pm Well, I heard back from system 76 and, basically, they are blowing me off since the Ubuntu disk is working fine. Their suggestion is to do a clean reinstall. I challenged them on that. I also questioned that they only replaced the graphics card since the computer wouldn't even power up after it died.

It's going to be a freezing cold day in Hell before I EVER buy anything from System 76 again, especially considering the lousy customer service I've been getting from them!
Is it really System 76 fault if you try another OS and it doesn't work ?
If someone, for instance, was to get a laptop that had Windows on it, then tried unsuccessfully to put another OS on it - I wouldn't expect the vendor to take it back.
System 76 also only give warranty on the hardware, not the software (including not the supplied OS)
https://system76.com/warranty

Yes, definitely, with the hardware problem within the warranty period, that is down to them to fix it, but surely you wouldn't expect them to fix something that wasn't broken if you use their supplied OS.

(No I don't work for System76 - in fact I never heard of them till I saw this thread.)
Did you read the entire thread? It was working just fine on Linux Mint 19.3 for around 10 months or so before it suddenly went completely dead. The power light, nothing was working. I ruled out the PSU since I had bought a spare one amd could test it that way. The first time I sent it back with the original SSD that had Ubuntu factory installed ( I didn't want to send the Mint SSD for security reasons), they said they replaced the graphics card. After getting it back, it would boot with the Ubuntu SSD but not on the Mint SSD. None of the directions for fixing it that I got from Rene and System76 worked (System76 has given me bad or incomplete directions before). Adding insult to injury, it started acting up in other ways, eventually including becoming unable to boot from a USB live disk no matter which SSD was installed.

This is the second time they have had it (I sent both the Ubuntu and the Mint SSDs and it's been a bit over three weeks since they got it). They closed the ticket at first (supposedly their system did it automatically) without notifying me about it. After I found out and raised a ruction, at first they said they had gotten it to boot but boot was being blocked (an apparent contradiction) and now they are saying they replaced the MOBO (I have a way of checking that out when I get it back).
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Fri May 07, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

bodge99 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:23 pm Hi,

I'd take the existing boot setup out of the equation totally and boot from a Grub rescue flashdrive. Mine works with legacy or UEFI.
It's much easier to fix an iffy boot from a running system.

See viewtopic.php?f=42&t=348629
A 5 minute job to create this.

Bodge99
One of the problems was the laptop gradually refused to boot from a USB live drive after I got it back the first time, no matter which SSD was installed. The Mint SSD worked just fine before the machine died, then wouldn't after I got the machine back the first time. I also tried a "clone" of the SSD (I created it from a Clonezilla image) which also had been working before and it also wouldn't boot after I got the machine back. Right now, the laptop is still with System76.
Jeannie

bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

Yes I do realise that the machine was working before the repair.. I do hope that you get everything sorted.

I've noticed that some folk spend a great deal of time messing with their boot configurations when troubleshooting.. Initially, why?? Yes.. when it's actually required.. but a waste of time if there actually is a hardware problem.

If you boot from a simple Grub flashdrive **for testing & diagnostic purposes** then you prove (at least two things):-

The installation on the target filesystem is valid.. If it boots from this flashdrive then the computer's boot mechanism can be sorted next.

The host system's hardware is working as expected.

I've been using this technique with problem hardware for years.. It can save a great deal of time.. I really don't understand why other folk don't.

Genuinely puzzled here??

Comments would be appreciated..

Bodge99
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

bodge99 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:04 am Hi,

Yes I do realise that the machine was working before the repair.. I do hope that you get everything sorted.

I've noticed that some folk spend a great deal of time messing with their boot configurations when troubleshooting.. Initially, why?? Yes.. when it's actually required.. but a waste of time if there actually is a hardware problem.

If you boot from a simple Grub flashdrive **for testing & diagnostic purposes** then you prove (at least two things):-

The installation on the target filesystem is valid.. If it boots from this flashdrive then the computer's boot mechanism can be sorted next.

The host system's hardware is working as expected.

I've been using this technique with problem hardware for years.. It can save a great deal of time.. I really don't understand why other folk don't.

Genuinely puzzled here??

Comments would be appreciated..

Bodge99
I looked at your directions and was thoroughly confused by them. As many others do, you assumed the reader already know certain things.
Jeannie

bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

Lady Fitzgerald: Thanks for the feedback.. I'm genuinely interested in what folk think. I suppose that my post is aimed at the intermediate user..
Would you (be honest please) have actually read this tutorial if you weren't prompted to by a link?? FYI, this tutorial came from: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=348615 The first post is identical... but there is some follow up.

How much information is "enough"? Some folk (I don't mean those on this forum) want everything "spoon-fed" to them.
At what point does "assumed knowledge" become "essential knowledge"?

Here, I'm trying to get the concept of what is IMHO a very useful basic tool that has been part of my diagnostic toolkit for **years**.
I haven't been a member here for very long.. after joining, I slowly realised that nobody else here seemed to be using this method.
To me.. it's an obvious use of basic tools. that others can benefit from.

I have had quite nasty feedback on other forums when trying to help new Linux users with problems.
What I was writing was "too simple.. tell him to RTFM" and worse.. much worse.
I got to the stage where "why bother" was at the forefront of my mind.. so I left..

Do you think it would be of use to anyone if I had explained it in much greater detail??

Bodge99
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Any updates?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 am Any updates?
Nope. It's still in the shop.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:18 am
Ugh, that stinks.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:26 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:18 am
Ugh, that stinks.
That's the polite term for it.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I got the following message a little while ago:

Hey Jeannie,

We tried to reach out with the phone number listed on file but were unable to get through.

Would you be able to confirm a good number to get in touch with you?

Our factory is unable to test your drive setup without having all the drives, the system is booting but was not completing the process.

Options:

-We can re-image your operating system.

-We can send the laptop back to you with the hardware repaired but the software as is. And then can provide guidance on getting your system backed up and your OS re-installed.

Let us know!...

First, the phone number I listed is one I use when companies demand I give them my phone number. I do not give out my phone number to anyone other than friends, family, and trusted businesses such as my doctor due to past abuses from telemarketers and politicians. The number has a 555 exchange, which goes to directory assistance. I use it so an innocent party will not get my junk calls. Using 555 for fake phone numbers is common knowledge since it's used frequently in books, movies, and TV shows for the same reasons and should be common knowledge.

Also, I own my phones; the phones nor anyone else own them. I do not appreciate people interrupting whatever I'm doing, demanding my time at that moment. If I'm busy, such as sleeping, eating watching TV, reading, etc., I will not answer the phone. If the call is important, the caller can leave a message.

I was able to get the number of junk calls reduced to one every other month or so until late last year when more telescammers started using autodialers for robocalls despite being illegal. I have DSPD (Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder) and often have trouble sleeping at night. This often means I'm sleeping in the morning as late as noon or taking a nap in the afternoon and the lowlifes wake me up. I got fed up and turned off all the ringers on my phones so I no longer can be reached by phone except to leave me a message. I suggested that they provide me with a phone number and contact name and the hours between when I can call.

I'm not enthused with the options they offered me. I don't even know what they mean by reimaging my operating system. They already sent the laptop back once and were unable to tell me how to fix it (none of the tech help they've given me before the computer died has worked) so my confidence in them being able to tell me how to fix it isn't very high.

I'm considering having them return it, then take it to a local repair shop that has a good reputation to see what they can do and, if they can fix it, send the bill to System76.
Jeannie

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:43 pm I'm considering having them return it, then take it to a local repair shop that has a good reputation to see what they can do and, if they can fix it, send the bill to System76.
Yeah, good luck with that one :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rene wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:49 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:43 pm I'm considering having them return it, then take it to a local repair shop that has a good reputation to see what they can do and, if they can fix it, send the bill to System76.
Yeah, good luck with that one :)
Were you always this insensitive and negative or did you have to take lessons? I'm not the only one you have been abusing here. In the previous post I read, someone posted "Had my first dose of AstraZeneca an hour or so ago. All good so far. :D" and you responded "Wait another 7 to 8 hours or so :-)". Was that post even necessary? It certainly wasn't helpful. Why not just let the guy enjoy feeling good while he could instead of telling him he will have side effects in a while (btw, not everyone gets side effects; I had none after my second shot other than feeling tired for a couple, three days, which may or may not have been due to the shot).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Maybe you could drop ship them a couple of blank drives just to install? Their message is odd, I don't understand their issue. It should work or not work and they should be able to pinpoint the problem. Perhaps you could call them?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:30 am In the previous post I read, someone posted "Had my first dose of AstraZeneca an hour or so ago. All good so far. :D" and you responded "Wait another 7 to 8 hours or so :-)". Was that post even necessary? It certainly wasn't helpful. Why not just let the guy enjoy feeling good while he could instead of telling him he will have side effects in a while (btw, not everyone gets side effects; I had none after my second shot other than feeling tired for a couple, three days, which may or may not have been due to the shot).
That is really completely ridiculous. What I was telling him is that he shouldn't consider it a necessarily big problem if he does in a bit have issues since with AstraZeneca side-effects such as fever show up later than after one hour if they do.

Yes, that post was as such helpful. As has been really any post I've directed at you. You are just a person who insists on not being spoken back to in any manner. Some are. To you and those again my response: "Yeah, good luck with that one".
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rene wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:22 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:30 am In the previous post I read, someone posted "Had my first dose of AstraZeneca an hour or so ago. All good so far. :D" and you responded "Wait another 7 to 8 hours or so :-)". Was that post even necessary? It certainly wasn't helpful. Why not just let the guy enjoy feeling good while he could instead of telling him he will have side effects in a while (btw, not everyone gets side effects; I had none after my second shot other than feeling tired for a couple, three days, which may or may not have been due to the shot).
That is really completely ridiculous. What I was telling him is that he shouldn't consider it a necessarily big problem if he does in a bit have issues since with AstraZeneca side-effects such as fever show up later than after one hour if they do.

Yes, that post was as such helpful. As has been really any post I've directed at you. You are just a person who insists on not being spoken back to in any manner. Some are. To you and those again my response: "Yeah, good luck with that one".
Maybe there is a language barrier and you don't understand how inflammatory some of your posts can be (is English not your first language?). Or perhaps, for whatever reason, you can't understand how to properly interact with people and simply don't understand how annoying your posts come across to others.
Jeannie

Return to “Installation & Boot”