What's wrong with Edger?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pe1800
Level 2
Level 2

What's wrong with Edger?

Post by pe1800 »

Would like to try Live Cinnamon 20.1. See how I like it, then use with late model Windows 10 laptop, perhaps dual boot or Virtual from within Windows. Have downloaded in Windows and verified Cinnamon. Tried to use Edger to create bootable USB, total disaster! Edger has already ruined 3 USB 3's, I first check the capacity, 32GB each, using USB 3 port. Then I open Edger, select the .iso file, USB port and then FLASH. Edger goes slowly through the motions, flashing, verifying but when I click at the USB there's is nothing there, properties also indicates 0.Very frustrating. Would much appreciate your comments.

Thank you, be well and safe,
pe1800 :? :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What's wrong with Edger?

Post by rene »

It is extremely unlikely that you in fact "ruined" any USB-stick in another than very temporary, software sense --- and even that sense isn't all that likely. The Linux Mint ISO is an image of a bootable USB/DVD: you after burning it restart your computer with the stick inserted and select it to boot from. You don't "click at the USB" although I do believe that it in fact should normally open as a semi-regular iso, but who knows how Windows 10 treats that. If you definitively can not boot from the created USB-stick(s): Rufus tends to get advised for creating the stick from Windows.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

rene wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:09 pm Rufus tends to get advised for creating the stick from Windows.
Use dd mode.

Note when you burn an iso to a stick it createss an iso9660 filesystem on it = same as used on DVDs, so it is read-only and will always show zero space left.

In linux there are a number of utilities to restore a stick burnt like this to a standard storage device, e.g. put a fat32 filesystem on it. No idea about windows.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

pe1800 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:54 pm Then I open Edger, select the .iso file, USB port and then FLASH. Edger goes slowly through the motions, flashing, verifying but when I click at the USB there's is nothing there, properties also indicates 0.Very frustrating. Would much appreciate your comments.
That is not how to install or test Linux Mint. After burning to the USB stick, turn off the computer. Restart the computer with the USB stick inserted and using the appropriate key enter the BIOS menu and set the boot order to start from the USB stick.

The details of how to enter the BIOS menu vary from one manufacturer to another, but the information should flash up briefly as the computer starts. On mine it is F8, but it might be any of the other F keys or even Escape. Tap the correct key repeatedly until the boot menu appears which you then may have to navigate using the Up/Down/Left/Right/Enter keys.
Cliff Coggin
pe1800
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pe1800 »

Thank you. I didn't know what you told me here about the condition of the USB drive after using Edger. I thought it had failed, repeatedly. It would be helpful if the notes with Edger or other such utilities as well as other documentation or books would mention what I just learned. I'll start over.

Thank you again,
pe1800
Paul

Return to “Installation & Boot”