Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SpaceFreak
Level 1
Level 1

Updater Download Without Installation, and Other Suggestions

Post by SpaceFreak »

There used to be an option in windows that would allow you to download updates automatically in the background without actually installing it until you initialized it. My thought was this, the automatic update feature is nice, but there is no third option for “download but don’t install”. I would like to be able to use a feature like this, but since it isn't available through the update manager, I choose to update manually. I run mint on several of my computers.

Other features that would be nice to have in the updater:

Scheduled update downloads, ability to change the schedule of the downloads in the background, by changing it in the user interface. I saw that its possible to change the auto-refresh of the list of updates, which is nice, but again it doesn't allow for downloads without installation, it only updates the list to pull, you still have to update, it would be nice to set it in the UI to download automatically.

Add automatic security updates as further nuance to this suggestion so that way security and feature updates are bifurcated in the automatic updater.

Add the ability to limit the download speed in the options for users that are in rural areas. I have a friend that also uses linux mint, they live in a rural area, and it would be nice if they could do it over longer periods of time so that way it doesn’t hog their bandwidth.
LanceM
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Updater Download Without Installation, and Other Suggestions

Post by LanceM »

You might as well go back to Windows if you love it that much. I'm perfectly happy the way it is.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

LanceM wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:06 pm
You might as well go back to Windows if you love it that much.
There is no need to be so dismissive. It's a perfectly valid suggestion.
We strive to be nicer here than that, especially to newcomers.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

SpaceFreak wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 pm
Add automatic security updates as further nuance to this suggestion so that way security and feature updates are bifurcated in the automatic updater.
That's an option that's available in the gm10 version of mintupdate (courtesy of Bodhi Linux):
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=349413

Nevertheless, I discourage automatic updates of any kind. Because updates should never be allowed to disrupt your workflow. So they should only be applied when you've finished your computer work. By you, so that you can respond immediately in case of a "bad apple".

Automatic updates are a curse forced on Windows users, because so many of them used to be so sloppy with applying updates in general. A curse that has caused misery for many.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
LanceM
Level 12
Level 12

Post by LanceM »

Moem wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:17 am
LanceM wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:06 pm
You might as well go back to Windows if you love it that much.
There is no need to be so dismissive. It's a perfectly valid suggestion.
We strive to be nicer here than that, especially to newcomers.
Sorry, a flash of anger surfaced. It just irritates me when something so good like Mint the way it is, gets ruined by senseless improvements. Automatic updates are something I really detest.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php