Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lewtwo
Level 3
Level 3

(Nevermind) Upgrade, Run old system under VBox

Post by lewtwo »

This may seem like a stupid question but .....

Can I install a new hard drive in my primary sata port, install the latest version of Linux Mint/Mate.
Then put the old drive in the secondary slot and run the existing OS in a Virtual Box session?

Second part:
Is there a practical means to extract a list of the installed applications ... at least the ones in the Mate menu system ....
(other than going through the menu and writing them all down?).
Last edited by lewtwo on Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
Reddog1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Upgrade, Run old system under VBox

Post by Reddog1 »

Question 1: No That isn't the way VBox works. You can install your new system, then install VirtualBox and install a guest system using the .iso of the old system. Once you have the old system running as a guest virtual machine, you can install extra programs and copy the files from your home directory to your VM and basically go about rebuilding your old system as the guest. You can also install the new system alongside the old system or install the new system on your new drive and let GRUB do its thing and add the old system on the old drive to the new grub boot menu. That requires dual booting and isn't as convenient as a virtual machine. I'm typing this on a Linux VM running on a Mint 20 host and I can switch back and forth between the two systems with a single mouse click. Keep in mind installing a VM requires more installed memory and more processing power. I usually assign 1 or 2 CPUs to the vm and 4mb of ram and at least 128mb of memory to the virtual display, but for many distros that's certainly overkill.

Question 2: If I understand what you want, not that I know of (though getting a list of all installed packages is easy). You can, however, take screenshots of your All Applications menu, since you want to see what you have showing on your menus. I can do my All Apps with 8 screenshots.
lewtwo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lewtwo »

Reddog1 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:16 pm
Question 1: No That isn't the way VBox works. .....
The VBox documentation seems to indicate otherwise:
https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualizati ... onfig.html
Section 2.8.1
As an alternative to using virtual disk images as described in Virtual Storage, Oracle VM VirtualBox can also present either entire physical hard disks or selected partitions as virtual disks to virtual machines.

The host machine has 32 Gbyte of physical Ram and a Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8.
Thus it should have adequate Ram and CPU resources.
Reddog1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reddog1 »

VirtualBox has no way to do that. By 'That', I mean to convert an existing Linux install into a virtual container that can be run as a guest inside a host system. VB has some flaky instructions on how to (maybe) convert a Windows install into a VM, but there are a host (no pun intended) of issues to deal with and it is really unlikely to work. VMware or Parallels may have a way, I don't use either so I don't know.
AndyMH
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AndyMH »

#2 - aptik, but is no longer free.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
RIH
Level 6
Level 6

Post by RIH »

item 2.
Backup Tool from Menu.
Software selection.
back 1.png
Forward (you can check/uncheck any Application that you don't want listed.
back 2.png
A text file is produced that you can then use as Restore in Backup Tool on your new installation.
back 3.png
NOTE:

On Restore only those items that you originally installed via the repositories will automatically be re-installed.
Those not re-installed will be clearly listed to you for manual installation.
Restore will not automatically re-install an application that is actually in the repositories if you originally installed it from elsewhere.
For example... Calibre is in the repositories but it would not automatically re-install if you originally installed it via the creators' web site. It will, however, be clearly marked as not installed by Backup-Tool.
lewtwo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lewtwo »

RIH wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:13 am
item 2.
Backup Tool from Menu.
Software selection.

Thank thee :)
lewtwo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lewtwo »

Reddog1 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:17 am
VirtualBox has no way to do that. By 'That', I mean to convert an existing Linux install into a virtual container that can be run as a guest inside a host system. VB has some flaky instructions on how to (maybe) convert a Windows install into a VM, but there are a host (no pun intended) of issues to deal with and it is really unlikely to work. VMware or Parallels may have a way, I don't use either so I don't know.
I would not disagree that VBox does indeed have some flakey bits (I have yet to get shared folders to work consistently ... ftp is more reliable).

However I have a new disk drive and plenty of room for separate backups so I think that I will give it a go. I will keep the original system drive intact and unmolested so that I can always just swap it back in. I do have a old VMware license but I'm retired now and decided that the yearly update fees were too much of a drain on the budget ... it always had/has issues with linux upgrades as well.
lewtwo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lewtwo »

I am currently running Linux Mint 19.2 with the MATE 1.22.0 user interface. My principle reason for wanting to upgrade was some enhancements made to Libreoffice version that comes with the newer version of Linux Mint. I discovered that I could remove Libreoffice from my current install and reinstall Libreoffice version 7.1 from the deb.tar.gz file Tar distribution found on Libreoffice web site. I also encounter some hardware problems with version 20.1 (among other things Nvidia drivers 4.6.5 lock up the system).

I also have two commercial applications installed. One is master PDFEditor but the other is BricsCAD. Sometimes these applications do not install on major upgrades. The former I could replace in needed however upgrading BricsCAD V18 would cost me over a $1,000. Quality CAD applications that run on Linux and few and far between and generally expensive (also performance generally sucks in a VM). When I do have to upgrade the OS it may be more cost effective to set up dedicated Windows hardware and OS so that I can run a less expensive CAD system such as TurboCAD, ProgeCAD, or NanoCAD.

So until something happens I am sticking with the current system and Linux Mint 19.2

In the meantime I may work on moving my home directory to another device and cleaning out installed stuff I do not use.