After grub boot-repair can't boot, only terminal grub>

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
treebull
Level 1
Level 1

After grub boot-repair can't boot, only terminal grub>

Post by treebull »

Heads-up: I've used linux for years but really don't know much about the inner workings, and am now far out of my depth! In short, I have a dual boot laptop with Mint 20.1, Win10 and a data partition. After a large (Mint) firmware update, the normal grub menu stopped working and it booted straight into Windows. No problem, normally, just use "advanced startup" or a live USB and use the boot-repair tool. I did, and since then I can't boot anything, not even a chance to go into BIOS, seconds after pressing the button (no spalsh screen) there's a black terminal screen with grub>

I found some old posts in various forums that suggest doing the commands below, replacing (hd0,1) with whatever partition has linux. I tried, there seem to be 8 partitions, all "gptX" (Mint is on gpt8) and a lot more versions of vmlinux and initrd.
I tried the command using the most recent versions, and then it goes to

Code: Select all

no root device specified.....
and then

Busybox v1.30.1...
and a prompt

(initramfs)
I'm completely lost! How can I make it boot? into any OS? I don't mind reinstalling the Linux partition, and even all the data is backed up, I just want my laptop back!

set pager=1
ls
set root=(hd0,1)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-29-generic root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-29-generic
boot
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bendipa
Level 5
Level 5

Re: After grub boot-repair can't boot, only terminal grub>

Post by bendipa »

The last set of commands are basically what you need, except we don't yet know what partition your root is on. If it's not sda1 then those commands need to be adjusted. So from your grub prompt, type ls (hd0,1)/. Does the output show some of the top level linux root folders, ie boot, dev, home, etc, var, usr ?
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 21.2 Xfce (Victoria), Manjaro 23.1 Xfce (Vulcan), Windows 10 (22H2) Pro.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: After grub boot-repair can't boot, only terminal grub>

Post by Larry78723 »

Or they can boot from the install media (dvd/usb), open a terminal, and run the following command:

lsblk -fi
and post the results.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Return to “Installation & Boot”