Mint Installer won't recognize second HDD but Ubuntu will

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint Installer won't recognize second HDD but Ubuntu will

Post by ricardogroetaers »

jafo wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:10 am However, it made no difference. Still cannot install Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" - Cinnamon (64-bit), as the installer cannot see the SSD.
Mint 20.1 installation media is stamped correctly on the USB stick (presumably).
It doesn't see the HDD or the SSD, both 1TB, but they see the larger 4TB hard drive.
What do the HD and 1TB SSD have in common, other than capacity, of course?

One hypothesis would be the settings of the SATA port where these devices are connected, assuming it is the same SATA port.
Try connecting the device (HD or SSD) to another port or review the settings in the machine's "setup".
Is there RST in play?

In fact, it doesn't make sense for a currently supported Linux distribution not to recognize a simple HD or SSD.
jafo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jafo »

Hey ricardogroetaers,

I think you're on the right track now. The mint installer can see the HDD using SATA to USB cable. Something is preventing the Mint installer from seeing the HDD or SSD when plugged into the computers proper SATA port.

Screenshot of the old HDD from live session of Mint installer when connected via USB cable.
SATA to USB can see hard drive.png
Here are screenshots of the EUFI settings for the new SSD that the Mint installer cannot see.
UEFI settings1.jpg
UEFI settings2.jpg
There is no provision to change any settings.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

jafo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:34 am The mint installer can see the HDD using SATA to USB cable. Something is preventing the Mint installer from seeing the HDD or SSD when plugged into the computers proper SATA port.

Screenshot of the old HDD from live session of Mint installer when connected via USB cable.

Here are screenshots of the EUFI settings for the new SSD that the Mint installer cannot see.
There is no provision to change any settings.
Connecting the SATA storage device via an adapter, cable, or dock station (SATA (device) -> USB (computer)) is usually straightforward, with no settings on either side.
An internal SATA port allows configurations.

In the figure, click on the "arrow" to the left of "SATA 0.1.........931.5GB".
Something will probably come up.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Did this ever get resolved?

I seem to have a similar problem with a SSD being disconnected when I try to write to it from live usb or try installing to it.

I was thinking my SSD might just be too old (Samsung 750 Evo) but replacing it as this thread indicates won't necessarily help.
jafo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jafo »

Hi rambo919,

Unfortunately my issue was never resolved. However, I do have a workaround. If you can install the latest version of Ubuntu, you can also install the Cinnamon desktop environment. This will give you the look and feel of Mint Cinnamon. It's not my preferred choice, but for the most part it works.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

jafo wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:25 am Hi rambo919,

Unfortunately my issue was never resolved. However, I do have a workaround. If you can install the latest version of Ubuntu, you can also install the Cinnamon desktop environment. This will give you the look and feel of Mint Cinnamon. It's not my preferred choice, but for the most part it works.
See my workaround here.... use ubuntu or other live usb to create the partitions and then boot the mint live usb.... but that probably won't work for you unless the setup sees the partitions once they are actually created.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=359067&p=2080753#p2080753
jafo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jafo »

Hey rambo919,

That's one of the first things I tried. No matter what I have done to resolve this issue the Mint installer does not see the SSD. I have settled for Ubuntu running Cinnamon desktop, until the issue is resolved with the Mint installer.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

jafo wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm Hey rambo919,

That's one of the first things I tried. No matter what I have done to resolve this issue the Mint installer does not see the SSD. I have settled for Ubuntu running Cinnamon desktop, until the issue is resolved with the Mint installer.
I think they probably will use updated packages for that by 20.3 which should automatically solve the problem..... if they don't start screaming in distress at them :lol:
jafo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jafo »

SOLVED!

The new linuxmint-20.2-cinnamon-64bit-edge.iso did the trick!

Recognized the new SSD and installed no problem. :D

For anyone else having installation problems not recognizing new hardware, I recommend trying Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon (Edge) Edition from the Mint Home Website.
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=291

Thanks to all who helped me with this issue!

Return to “Installation & Boot”