Tri-Booting W7, W10 and Linux Mint 18.3

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PapaBear502
Level 1
Level 1

Tri-Booting W7, W10 and Linux Mint 18.3

Post by PapaBear502 »

Good evening everyone.

I got a question to pose, and a problem to solve.

I have tri-booted Windows 7, Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18.3. I used EasyBCD to modify the Windows bootloader to allow me to choose either of the three O/S's. However, Grub loads first before the Windows bootloader can load. I need for them to switch places, basically I want to use the Windows bootloader to load either of the three O/S's.

I had that type of configuration before, but I wanted to load Mint v20 so I completely removed 18.3, tried loading v20, but when I couldn't get v20 to load, I went back to 18.3. I got that reloaded and configured just fine, got my software installed, used EasyBCD to add Linux to the Windows bootloader, etc. But now that I want to use the Windows bootloader as the primary bootloader, I can't figure out how to configure my PC to make that happen.

So that's my problem. My question is, can anyone tell me how to accomplish the task of ensuring the Windows bootloader displays first, before Grub, and use that allow me choose with O/S I want to use. I hope I haven't confused anyone. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Tri-Booting W7, W10 and Linux Mint 18.3

Post by all41 »

Are all the osen on the same drive? are there other drives/partitons?
You need to say more regarding this
Please be more specific about the multiboot system you want to end up with.
Not a biggie--help is HERE
Plus-get off 18 series--unsupported now.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you do use the Windows Boot Loader as the primary loader,
then it won't recognise any system other, than another Windows System.
:(

thus you will have to utilise another, 3rd party Boot Loader to load an Linux System,
as well as any older Windows Systems.
- - like the easyBCD that you are currently using - -
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
PapaBear502
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PapaBear502 »

Thanks. I did get this problem fixed. Now I have to figure out how to fix the "Failed to mount Windows share: software caused connection abort" error message I get now that I upgraded to 20.1.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
PapaBear502
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PapaBear502 »

I did that months ago. I never had this type of network problem with 18.3. A search on Google said to edit the smb.conf file, but Linux says I don't have the rights to do that. It says I'm not "root" even though I'm the one who programmed 20.1 into the system.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

PapaBear502 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 pm basically I want to use the Windows bootloader to load either of the three O/S's.
Windows bootloader has some critical problems.
It can't load other OSes, wants the first partition as its own partition, doesn't respect other bootloaders (Windows installation removes GRUB without an option to boot it), is closed-source etc.,

GRUB is one of the best bootloaders available (in any case, FAR better than windows bootloader).

I think using GRUB to load windows bootloader is a much better option (NOT the other way round).

BTW: I think your question is more suited to a Windows forum.

Return to “Installation & Boot”