[SOLVED] New kernel for old device needed ?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] New kernel for old device needed ?

Post by jambono »

Hi all

I use an old laptop and it work very well now with Matte DE and the "old" Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64 bits

inxi here : https://termbin.com/bk20

I get the 5.4.0-77.86 update proposed in my update manager but I do not see any log about change - nothing specified -

I would like to know if there is any improvement for my device to upgrade the kernel ? I see some 5.13 development builds for other new device too ...

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: New kernel for old device needed ?

Post by zcot »

You should not just ignore a kernel update for no reason.

That exact update is not very interesting for my hardware, but you can see it here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/5.4.0-77.86

But scroll down, and see the changes for the previous kernel. Well, maybe not interesting your hardware and usage,

BUT the one before that is related to a CVE fixes.

So, .86 might not be interesting to your hardware, and .85 deals with some specific module fixes, but nobody should be ignoring .84, there are numerous possibly relevant CVE related fixes, -if any of those are specific to your hardware, or they might even be running on the system anyway then that should not be ignored.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

Yes thanks. Interesting. I will update it and hope this do not put the mess ... 8-(
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Most likely it will be fine. But, if not, you can return to your previous kernel in Grub, Advanced Options.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

Thanks. Updated and all seem to be OK for now. Really perfect OS.

I understand that this build update is for my device... I mean is there any chance to upgrade to last 5.13 build or its useless ?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

jambono wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:15 pm 5.13 build or its useless ?
Dangerous is a more appropriate word. Don't even think about 5.13.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

5.13 is only in RC releases right now. None of the 5.13 kernels are being used in any of the Ubuntu versions. Consider it a test phase, well, it is exactly that! Consider it for installing in a so-called "unstable" environment. RC means Release Candidate, which means it might become an actual release if everything goes well. They are up to RC7 right now, not even an official "5.13" release. The only reason this kernel is open to the public right now is so that skilled kernel testing capable users can try to use it and do bug reports and give feedback and or be able to add patches. The Ubuntu kernel developers are only "working on it" right now, and at some point the kernel will have a final first official release and Ubuntu will start to work on considering being able to use it, as they develop their own configurations, tweaks and adjustments tailored for our typical desktop Ubuntu(and hence Mint) systems.

The Linux Kernel Organization writes it in general. It has little to do with Ubuntu/Mint desktop usage.

Ubuntu kernel developers pick up the kernel releases and do specific work to make it work nicely, and get configured well, and package it for easy use in the Ubuntu system and derivatives.

For you:

Code: Select all

LENOVO product: 0768DDU date: 06/04/07
-that 5.4 kernel is an excellent choice, and that version-line will last you until the EOL of this support frame for the Mint 20.x versions.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

Thank you both for these interesting technical details .. For the moment I have no reason to update the kernel above 5.4 ... I even hesitated to update it to the 5.4.0-77.86 proposed version because my system works very well as is but I did and all work very well It's a second happy life for this old device !
Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”