Level 1
Level 1

Best version for this old netbook?

Post by nooblinx »

I have an old Packard bell DOT M,
Athlon L110,
2GB RAM netbook.

what is best version for smooth run?

Tried 20.2 xfce. it works but eat RAM and had problem in Firefox (freeze and hang)
freshminted
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Best version for this old netbook?

Post by freshminted »

Firefox is never going to be happy nowadays with only 2gb of ram. I run a similar emachines em250 netbook, LM 19.3, also 2gb of ram, 5.4 kernel. It is certainly is no speed demon, but is adequate when I'm travelling for light web browsing (maybe only four or five tabs open) and email. I use cinnamon with all effects turned off, and timeshift set to monthly, keep 2 (otherwise it seems to always want to do backups just when I need to use the machine, which makes it useless for anything else until it completes).

Others will no doubt advise you to forget about Mint completely and use something else like puppy.
linuxss1992
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxss1992 »

freshminted wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:35 am
Others will no doubt advise you to forget about Mint completely and use something else like puppy.
I would be one of those people who would advise it.
DisturbedDragon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Mint is kind of heavy, any version of it, for 2GB RAM and a spinner drive. You could use Mate or XFCE fairly smooth with an SSD and decent size swap partition. Otherwise I would go with LXLE or antiX.
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16C/32T | MSI x470 Gaming Pro | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Nvidia RTX2080 OC | Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
Reddog1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reddog1 »

Pick a Debian-based distribuition, and do not use the Cinnamon desktop. I run many different distributions as virtual machines and quite a few will easily run with only 2GB of ram, including running Firefox esr. I'm typing this in Firefox, using a Sparky Linux Xfce virtual machine with 2MB of ram assigned and a single cpu. No problems at all, including running youtube videos or streaming tv. Mint 19 Xfce will run with the same configuration, but it does bog down once in a while--not much, but just occasionally. That will stop if I allow a 2nd cpu, but what Mint really wants is 4MB of ram.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

for an older machine, like that one,
you could try:
https://mxlinux.org/
which is still based upon the XFCE desktop.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.