How to revert back to Windows. Not dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minty16
Level 1
Level 1

How to revert back to Windows. Not dual boot

Post by Minty16 »

I want to go back to Windows and remove linuxmint. All the guides I can find deal with dual boot systems. I only have linuxmint. I've had rufus and balenaEtcher recommended but I don't know how run exe files or even how to put the Windows os on my usb stick.
I do see the irony of asking linux users how to remove it but I'm at my wits end.
Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How to revert back to Windows. Not dual boot

Post by JoeFootball »

Minty16 wrote: I want to go back to Windows and remove linuxmint.
I've never installed Windows myself, but I'd imagine it's just a matter of downloading the installer ISO, burning it to a USB/DVD, and booting to it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Edit: Noting that page also refers to an additional option for making a "media creation tool" if you have access to another Windows system.
Minty16
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minty16 »

That's what I thought, Joe, but I just get a black screen.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Minty16 wrote: I just get a black screen.
Sorry, if I knew the answer, I'd tell you. :) I don't use Windows, let alone install it, but there appears to be several tutorials out there ...

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=how+to+i ... windows+10
Minty16
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minty16 »

Thanks Joe. Just for reference. I was surprised to get through to a human being on Microsoft support. They took remote control of a second laptop that had Windows on it and DL the system to my usb stick for me.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Minty16 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 pm Thanks Joe. Just for reference. I was surprised to get through to a human being on Microsoft support. They took remote control of a second laptop that had Windows on it and DL the system to my usb stick for me.
I note that they didn't offer help on how to do it in linux :D win ISOs used to work with mint's usb image writer (a couple of years ago), but MS did something.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:02 pm win ISOs used to work with mint's usb image writer (a couple of years ago), but MS did something.
I have manually made a Windows Installation + LinuxMint live USB. (made from Linux, made less than a month ago)

Format the destination USB with an MBR parttable, and :
Make a >3GB FAT32 partition, grub-install --target=i386-pc ....... with /boot on that partition (for Legacy BIOS), extract an LinuxMint iso there (for EFI systems).
Make an exfat partition and extract the Windows ISO there.
(The extra space can be used for some other partition)

Now, modify /media/<username>/<FAT32partition>/boot/grub/grub.cfg to include:

Code: Select all

set WinUUID="<UUID_of_the_exfat_partition>"

if [ "${grub_platform}" = "pc" ]; then

# For Legacy BIOS systems
menuentry " Windows installation (Legacy BIOS mode)" {
insmod exfat
insmod ntldr
search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid $WinUUID
ntldr /bootmgr
}

else

# For EFI systems
menuentry " Windows installation (EFI mode)" {
insmod exfat
insmod chain
search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid $WinUUID
chainloader /efi/boot/bootx64.efi
}
Now, umount both partitions and put "boot" and "ESP" flag on the FAT32 partition.

Now, reboot into Linux Mint live or Windows installation media.

BTW: You can easily use Rufus to make a Windows installation media from another Windows computer.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

Minty16 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 pm Thanks Joe. Just for reference. I was surprised to get through to a human being on Microsoft support. They took remote control of a second laptop that had Windows on it and DL the system to my usb stick for me.
Pity that someone needs to remote into a PC just to download and flash an ISO.

BTW: Why would you ever want to leave the freedom of Linux and go back into the M$ jail.
If you want, you can switch between freedom ( :lol: parole ) and the jail -- Dual boot.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

BTW: You can easily use Rufus to make a Windows installation media from another Windows computer.
Or in a VM which is what I did.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

SimonPeter wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:44 pm
Pity that someone needs to remote into a PC just to download and flash an ISO.

BTW: Why would you ever want to leave the freedom of Linux and go back into the M$ jail.
If you want, you can switch between freedom ( :lol: parole ) and the jail -- Dual boot.
Easy now....
not everyone understands what is behind the keyboard.

my sister is one of those: don't even mention Linux to her, I gave her a Dell laptop with Linux 18.3 Cinnamon and she thoroughly hates it.

her win10 laptop started failing; a cat walked across the keyboard, and turned over a glass of Coca Cola....

she ordered a brand new Lenovo desktop 3 months ago, problem solved.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jackkileen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jackkileen »

So was your issue solved?
MINT: 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4_Kernel:6.5.0-15-generic - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor × 16
MX LINUX: KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5_Kernel Version 6.1.0-17-amd64 (64-bit): X11

Return to “Installation & Boot”