cannot boot into linux mint CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
getstarted
Level 1
Level 1

cannot boot into linux mint CD

Post by getstarted »

I have a lenov miix 700 notebook (64 bit). I want to wipe W10 and install LM xfce 20.2. I disabled uefi, selected legacy boot as priority, and put the dvd driver on top of boot order. The bios has no "fast boot" option. I also turned off TPM and disabled admin password.

After I connected the dvd drive to the notebook and booted up the machine, I could see the linux mint screen. I selected "start linux mint"; the screen then turned black for a second, and then it showed a single blink underscore sign. I also tried running the "integraity test" and got the same blinking underscore sign. I did hook up the LM dvd to another window 10 machine and I was able to successfully boot up LM, so the image was not corrupted.

I have been using LM for many years and I have installed ubuntu/LM dozens of times on many different machines; this is the first time I ran into this issue and I am stumped. Your help and suggestion are most welcome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: cannot boot into linux mint CD

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
getstarted
Level 1
Level 1

Post by getstarted »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:42 pm Try the Edge iso:
http://mirror.cs.jmu.edu/pub/linuxmint/ ... t-edge.iso
Thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt that the edged version would solve my problem since the laptop itself is 5 years old. In fact I installed an older version of LM on this exact model of laptop a couple of years ago for somebody else so I know that there was no hardware issue.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You're probably right, but it's worth a try anyway.... :wink:
getstarted
Level 1
Level 1

Post by getstarted »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:10 pm You're probably right, but it's worth a try anyway.... :wink:
Holy cow, the edge version works! So does xubuntu 20.04.3. They both uses 5.11 kernel while 20.02 uses 5.4, so maybe that's the reason? That's so weird.

I really want to stick with LM xfce, but right now I can't even boot into the live DVD (or usb). What are my options? THANKS!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Try booting the DVD / USB stick in Compatibility Mode.
getstarted
Level 1
Level 1

Post by getstarted »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:14 am Try booting the DVD / USB stick in Compatibility Mode.
Unfortunately I still got stuck even under compatibility mode.

I just occur to me that I could install a different desktop on the LM.edge. Two follow-up questions:

(1) How long would the .edge version be supported, and is there a path of upgrade to the regular LM (20.2 -> 20.3)?

(2) While I could boot up the two new ISO with 5.11 kernels, both of them spit out lots of ACPI error s

ACPI Error: No handler for Region [ERAM]
ACPI Error: Region EmbeddedControl (IB=3) has no handler
ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.LIB0._STA due to previous error
ACPI Error: Method execution failed \_SB.LIB0._STA due to previous error (AE_NOT_EXIST)

I did perform a SMART disk test within W10 and I got no warning there.

I got these errors while running the live DVD. My question/concern is: Would this be an on-going problem AFTER I wipe W10 and install LM? I'd be not go through the installation to find out.

THANKS!

Return to “Installation & Boot”