(SOLVED) Error Message when creating /, swap, and home partition during install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
royt911
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) Error Message when creating /, swap, and home partition during install

Post by royt911 »

Wish I could sent screen shots. This forum always says the file is too big. But this is the message:

The partition table format in use on your disks normally requires you to create a separate partition for boot loader code. This partition should be marked for use as a "Reserved BIOS boot area" and should be at least 1 MB in size. Note that this is not the same as a partition mounted on /boot.

If you do not go back to the partitioning menu and correct this error, boot loader installation may fail later, although it may still be possible to install the boot loader to a partition.

I did not proceed to see with the install since I don't know what they want me to do. I didn't have this when I installed on other laptops. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Error Message when creating /, swap, and home partition during install

Post by AndyMH »

You have booted your mint install media in legacy mode and you have a GPT partition table on your drive. Check your BIOS settings and set to UEFI boot.
Wish I could sent screen shots. This forum always says the file is too big.
The limit is 200kB, if saved as a png, convert to a jpg or use a remote hosting site like imgur and use the [rimg] tags. Most screenshots of the active window will be less than 200kB. For the active window - Alt + PrtScn.

Note - if creating the partitions manually with gparted, for UEFI boot you need an EFI partition (size 100MB, format fat32, flags esp & boot). This is where your bootloader (grub) lives.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
royt911
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royt911 »

I changed it to legacy so I could boot off the thumb drive for install. I made a 100MB partition for the reserved bois and I didn't get the error message. I am still installing. Should I switch back to UEFI Boot when I am done installing? Will I be able to switch between windows and linux at startup?

Thanks.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you want to be able to select either mint or win from the grub menu, yes switch back to UEFI boot before you boot your mint install stick and install. With one OS in legacy mode and the other in UEFI the only way you can switch is by going into BIOS to select the other OS.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
royt911
Level 2
Level 2

<<<SOLVED>>>Re: Error Message when creating /, swap, and home partition during install

Post by royt911 »

The install was a success. I rarely use windows so I don't mind keeping the boot on legacy and changing it back to the other when I want windows. Thanks for the advise for the screenshot. I will try changing the extension to jpg next time.

Return to “Installation & Boot”