BIOS: TPM 2.0 Module questions...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Armstrong
Level 4
Level 4

BIOS: TPM 2.0 Module questions...

Post by Armstrong »

Currently, my laptop has a dual boot (Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon & Windows 10). With Linux Mint 20.2 having been released, and the release of Windows 11 being imminent, I started to do a bit of research about upgrading things. Essentially, I have come to the conclusion that as long as both Linux Mint 20 and Windows 10 are being supported until 2025, and since there appears to be an issue with Secure Boot in Windows 11, I am just going to leave matters as they are. I have few doubts that an easy solution to the Secure Boot issue will present itself before support for my platforms ends. (Or, at least, a simpler solution than the one I found.) That said, when running the analysis of my laptop for the upgrade, I discovered that the TPM module in the BIOS was disabled. From what I can gather, enabling it would enhance the security of Windows 10. I found a post here from 2015 which said that the TPM 2.0 module doesn't have much to do with Linux, but that it facilitates the use of bitlocker encryption in Windows 10. The post also said that once it is enabled (the factory setting was "disabled"), it cannot be reversed. I have no idea if things have changed since that post. I would really appreciate hearing opinions about enabling the TPM 2.0 module. Thanks in advance. Slainte!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: BIOS: TPM 2.0 Module questions...

Post by SMG »

Armstrong wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 pm I have few doubts that an easy solution to the Secure Boot issue will present itself before support for my platforms ends. (Or, at least, a simpler solution than the one I found.)
Does your computer require a third-party driver that does not play well with Secure Boot? Mint supports Secure Boot.
Armstrong wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 pm That said, when running the analysis of my laptop for the upgrade, I discovered that the TPM module in the BIOS was disabled... The post also said that once it is enabled (the factory setting was "disabled"), it cannot be reversed.
You might want to consider checking with your laptop's manufacturer with regards to how TPM options are handled. That is a function of the firmware(hardware) and not the operating system. If you let us know the manufacturer, others may be able to give you more specific information.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Armstrong
Level 4
Level 4

Re: BIOS: TPM 2.0 Module questions...

Post by Armstrong »

Thank you for the reply. First, according to the instructions I used in 2020 (found on this site, if I am not mistaken), I disabled Secure Boot prior to installing Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon. Also, D2D Recovery was disabled, Fast Boot was disabled, Boot Mode was set to UEFI, and TPM remained disabled. (Referring to my notes from that installation, they say "Disable TPM", but I do not know if I had to do that, or if that setting was the default.) Second, I am using an Acer Aspire 5 with the Ryzen 5-4500u processor. All that said, everything is working very nicely now, so I am not inclined to do any upgrades until I am compelled to do so. Especially in light of what little I am learning about potential difficulties in making Windows 11 and Linux Mint play nicely together. I also imagine any installation issues concerning a dual boot with Windows 11 and whatever version of Linux Mint we'll be using will have been resolved by then. Again, thank you for the reply. I did not know that Linux Mint now supports Secure Boot. Of course, there are a lot of things I don't know.. Slainte!

Edit to add: Just so I don't drift too far afield from my original post, I use Windows less than minimally. Since it was on my computer when I bought it, I saw no reason to discard it. What I am curious about now are any negative impacts enabling TPM 2.0 might have on Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.

Return to “Installation & Boot”