Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NeedFasterLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Encrypted Mint USB VERY slow to boot.

Post by NeedFasterLinux »

Hi,

I have been using Linux for a couple years and have successfully made fully encrypted USB installs in the past.

I lost or forgot how to do it so the method used is I removed my laptops hdd and followed procedure as if the usb was my main drive (only way I could figure how to do it)

I noticed my disk formatting looks different from other times where I only had 3 partitions. This is a screenshot of what it looks like. Image

It takes 4 minutes for crypsetup to ask for my password. After I enter it things are fine. But then also the system is freezing sometimes.

Is there a simple fix for this? Is there anything you would recommend I try? My knowledge of Linux and the command line is limited so simple suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Last edited by SMG on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Beginner Questions to Installation and Boot.
mikeflan
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Encrypted Mint USB VERY slow to boot.

Post by mikeflan »

Perhaps it would be beneficial to look at the output of these 3 commands:

Code: Select all

systemd-analyze
systemd-analyze critical-chain
systemd-analyze blame
NeedFasterLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Here Is the output I recieved:
remove duplicates from large text file
?
It says graphical target reached at 18 seconds. I'm assuming that means 18 seconds after cryptsetup unlocks the operating system?

The issue I am having is that crypt-setup won't prompt me for my password at all until roughly 4 minutes. Screen is black for 4 minutes.
mikeflan
Level 9
Level 9

Post by mikeflan »

Looks like I was wrong. I see nothing wrong there.
I don't know much about encrypting whole hard drives within the OS. Others will have to help you there.
NeedFasterLinux
Level 1
Level 1

I reinstalled Linux mint 20.2 with only home folder encryption and the boot time took exactly as long as before.

Bought a new 128 GB PNY thumb drive and installed again the latest Mint (home folder encryption only) Now it’s taking 4 minutes 18 seconds from starting my laptop to seeing my Home Screen. 26 seconds faster than my first 2 recent installs.

So it’s not the thumb drive or the encryption method or my laptop (on which I’ve installed previous encrypted and home folder encrypted versions of Mint.)

It’s always been a toss up when I set up a new thumb drive installation. Sometimes it boots in 2 minutes or so like my HDD which also runs Mint and other times it takes about 4.5 minutes total.

I’m getting ready to accept my boot time for what it is cause I’m getting so tired of re-installing Mint but if anyone has any other suggestions to help me diagnose what might be happening it would be much appreciated.

I will retype the commands mikeflan suggested and post the results once my 3rd new Linux Mint in one week finally finishes installing its updates. :x

Edit: Output almost identical to last time.

Its weird. When I select the thumb drive to boot from it quickly recognizes mint and I tell it to boot.

Then the screen is just blank and nothing happens for over 3 minutes.

When my login screen finally appears and I enter my password it boots pretty fast.

Would love some idea of what is going on that whole time the screen is blank.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

NeedFasterLinux wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:17 pm
I noticed my disk formatting looks different from other times where I only had 3 partitions. This is a screenshot of what it looks like. Image
I have never encrypted anything (folder, disk, partition).
You state that you have always done encrypted installations without problems.
I believe so.

Looking at the picture of the "Disks" program:
- It appears that you have Windows installed.
- Windows appears to be installed in BIOS mode (no EFI partition).
- It appears that you had the Mint installer install Mint alongside Windows.
- The installer did the procedures his way.
Partition 3, 538 MB, Fat -> unnecessary.
Extended partition 4, 539 GB -> not needed.
Partition 5 logical (inside the extended partition), 539 GB -> could be a primary partition.

Unfortunately the installer in newer versions of Mint, when used in automatic mode, seems to complicate what is simple.
I don't know if this is the problem, but it probably is.

We can see some more in a Gparted picture (showing the contents of all columns and also clicking on the "view" menu and enabling "show device info".
Or the output of the command:
sudo parted -l

In my humble opinion, I think you should partition the Mint installation location on the target device media in your own way.
That is, create a primary partition and install Mint on it or optionally 2 primary partitions, one for installing Mint and the other for storing data.
Without messing with the Windows partitions, of course.
mikeflan
Level 9
Level 9

Post by mikeflan »

Then the screen is just blank and nothing happens for over 3 minutes.
Isn't there a way to see what is going on? Turn off quietsplash, or just hit tab, start from the boot terminal, or maybe something else?