suspend button

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yorugua2001
Level 1
Level 1

suspend button

Post by yorugua2001 »

I couldn't get the pc to suspend since installing Linux mint, I suspected it was the graphics drivers, I have an Nvidia card, so I downgraded to the oldest drivers in the driver manager app, Nvidia -340, so now if I try to use the suspend button in the startup menu the only thing I get is my screen locked, however, I can suspend using the pm-suspend command, What's going on?
Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
it-place
Level 3
Level 3

Re: suspend button

Post by it-place »

Hi yorugua2001,

I had exactly the same problem here on a new PC with a fresh Mint 20.2 installation. A few days ago there was a Nvidia driver update in the Mint repo. After updating to the latest 470 driver the problem was gone. Hope that helps.

Regards - Olli
yorugua2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yorugua2001 »

I upgraded to the newest Nvidia drivers, I tried pm-suspend and it works great but if I use the suspend button, goes to sleep but the screen never wakes up, it has to be something with the script on the button.
yorugua2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yorugua2001 »

snooping around in the system, I found out that Linux mint uses a script with hdparm to spin down the drives before sleep, since I'm using an m.2 SSD drive I wonder if that's creating the problem.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

yorugua2001 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:50 pm I upgraded to the newest Nvidia drivers, I tried pm-suspend and it works great but if I use the suspend button, goes to sleep but the screen never wakes up, it has to be something with the script on the button.
This seems to be a problem related to the Nvidia driver. It seems only those using Nvidia are consistently running into this issue.

See this post for some more info.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
yorugua2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yorugua2001 »

thanks for the replies, the main difference with that posting is suspend doesn't work at all, mine does by pm-suspend only
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

yorugua2001 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:23 am thanks for the replies, the main difference with that posting is suspend doesn't work at all, mine does by pm-suspend only
The point of the posting is that the method you are using is not the ideal way to suspend the computer unless that is the only way that works for your situation.

Others are having issues suspending with Nvidia graphics as well such as here and here in addition to the topic in the post I gave you.
yorugua2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yorugua2001 »

I get your point, it seems the problem is with the gt7xx series, i think i have a gt760. What bothers me about the whole thing is that I've been using suspend on Linux for years now and now it doesn't work, i wonder if it is a Nvidia way to make me upgrade the card. Thanks again
yorugua2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yorugua2001 »

Let me know if I should ask this question in a different post, if i was to change my graphic card and go away from Nvidia, what would be a better choice, doesn't have to be powerful, i don't game, it would be nice if the card uses open source drivers. Thanks again
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

yorugua2001 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:03 am What bothers me about the whole thing is that I've been using suspend on Linux for years now and now it doesn't work
I believe you that it used to work. Others have run into the situation, but I can not recall if there was a specific version mentioned as to when the problem started.

Have you tried the open-source driver for Nvidia (the xorg-server-nouveau driver) to see if you can suspend using it?
yorugua2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yorugua2001 »

I have tried the open-source drivers and pm-suspend works but the suspend button only locks my screen, the pc never goes to sleep.

Return to “Installation & Boot”