Before you post please read how to get help
psicop
Level 2
Level 2

Linux not listed in BIOS Menu

Post by psicop »

Hello,

Version installed: Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

I am behind a ThinkxzDpad X1 Carbon Gen 6. The BIOS is not showing Linux Mint but it boots to Linux Mint without any issues.

I run the "inxi -Fxzd" and the result is:
System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-90-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20KH003JAU v: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th
serial: <filter>
Mobo: LENOVO model: 20KH003JAU v: SDK0J40697 WIN serial: <filter>
UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO v: N23ET78W (1.53 ) date: 08/09/2021
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 50.4 Wh condition: 50.9/57.0 Wh (89%)
model: SMP 01AV431 status: Charging
CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-8550U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: Kaby Lake rev: A L2 cache: 8192 KiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
bogomips: 31999
Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 400/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800
3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel
bus ID: 00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Lenovo
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-90-generic
Network:
Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V vendor: Lenovo driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k
port: efa0 bus ID: 00:1f.6
IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: efa0
bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 9.28 GiB (1.9%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: MZVLB512HAJQ-000L7
size: 476.94 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 467.96 GiB used: 9.28 GiB (2.0%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0
Info:
Processes: 244 Uptime: 2m Memory: 15.18 GiB used: 767.2 MiB (4.9%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
inxi: 3.0.38

Also "lsusb"
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:0328 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB3.0-CRW
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 06cb:009a Synaptics, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b614 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Integrated Camera
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b615 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Integrated IR Camera
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

rene
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux not listed in BIOS Menu

Post by rene »

You've installed Mint in Legacy mode in which mode the BIOS knows nothing about any OS; just loads the first sector from its boot-disk and executes it (which is where Grub is in your case). The fact that "Windows Boot Manager" shows up by name is just because its UEFI-entry is named such; had you installed also Mint in UEFI-mode you'd have gotten two "ubuntu" entries; one for booting with secure boot, i.e., booting shimx64.efi, and the other booting grubx64.efi directly.
psicop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psicop »

Unfortunately it's the only way Linux can be installed from a bootable USB on a Lenovo Thinkpad X series. Legacy mode + disable secure boot. The usb wouldn't boot on UEFI.

Also discussed here:

viewtopic.php?t=357827&p=2071718

There must be a fix to this.
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Post by rene »

psicop wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:31 am
There must be a fix to this.
A fix for what exactly? As said, it's completely normal for a legacy-mode install to not show in a BIOS; it can not show up since the BIOS as said knows nothing of any OS when in Legacy mode.

If the answer is "a fix for installing Linux in UEFI rather than Legacy mode" then yes, I'm sure there must be, but that's a very different and possibly involved question then --- and possibly a not involved one at all, e.g. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1242642 ... ad-x1-7gen

Note by the way that dual-boot between a UEFI install of Windows and a Legacy install of Linux won't work at least without you going into the BIOS each time flipping modes if you want to boot either; both OSen need to be installed in the same mode for dual-boot to work sanely.
RollyShed
Level 6
Level 6

Post by RollyShed »

psicop wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:59 am
Version installed: Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

I am behind a ThinkxzDpad X1 Carbon Gen 6. The BIOS is not showing Linux Mint but it boots to Linux Mint without any issues.
The question, what does the BIOS have to do with the name of the operating system if everything works as it should?
Doesn't the BIOS just tell the disk or stick or DVD to run and do what it is supposed to?

Of the 50+ installations done, I've never bothered to look at what the BIOS has to say about it and this is being typed on a Lenovo which simply works as it should.

One installation, the BIOS wouldn't let the installation USB come first without a lot of searching for the right fiddle so the installation was done on a disk plugged into another laptop and then installed in the laptop that needed it. Obviously the BIOS wouldn't know what was going on, the laptop simply worked as required.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

UEFI only means no BIOS Legacy device can boot so Linux Mint USB will boot in UEFI mode (if it is created in the proper way of course).

Chaging that setting which options are present in your boot menu (F12)?
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
psicop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psicop »

Thanks guys for trying to help me understand what is going on.

I repeat installing Linux in UEFI mode from a bootable usb won't work on my laptop (it's a known Lenovo issue).

Question is:

1. I want GRUB to be present in the BIOS.

2. Windows is gone. No more.

3. Planning to install another distro alongside Mint.

F12 doesn't show anything extra. Will post a screen since I'm posting from my phone.

Any further advice would be greatly helpful.

Cheers :)
AndyMH
Level 18
Level 18

Post by AndyMH »

psicop wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:59 pm
I repeat installing Linux in UEFI mode from a bootable usb won't work on my laptop (it's a known Lenovo issue).
Rene gave you the answer with the link he posted?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
psicop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psicop »

I have to reinstall again. THANK YOU LENOVO!

Before I go ahead, I need to confirm the following:

Boot Priority order: USB HDD

UEFI/Legacy Boot: which option do I choose here? UEFI only or Both?
UEFI/Legacy Boot Priority: UEFI first, correct?
CSM support: Yes, correct?
Last edited by psicop on Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Post by rene »

psicop wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:59 pm
1. I want GRUB to be present in the BIOS.
Just to make this very, very clear then; you CAN NOT when booting Linux in Legacy mode: in legacy mode a BIOS knows nothing of any installed OS, just loads and executes the first sector of the boot disk.

This, then, is to say as to your last question that you'd need to boot the stick in UEFI mode and install in said mode. You earlier said you could not but if that's retracted now: I'd pick "UEFI Only" so as to lessen possible confusion/issues (which I assume removes those other options you asked about).
psicop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psicop »

rene wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:20 am
ou'd need to boot the stick in UEFI mode and install in said mode
It did't work when I first went through the installation. The USB Toshiba drive I got was placed first in the boot order followed by Win, obviously then followed by F12 to access the boot menu in order to boot the Live Mint session.

But it wouldn't boot from UEFI.

I'll try again. If the problem is persistent, I'll contact Lenovo which is what they are for.

Will report again.
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Post by rene »

psicop wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:30 am
I'll try again. If the problem is persistent, I'll contact Lenovo which is what they are for.
<giggle>

Be sure to mention that you're attempting to boot not a Windows but a Linux USB in UEFI mode so as to experience what they themselves feel what they are for :)
psicop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psicop »

Of course I will. ;) They fully support Ubuntu (and other distros) so as a customer you'd expect full awareness of BIOS issues and bootable drives which IMO are a royal pain in the ass. Never had any issues in the past while installing an iso from a DVD.

For the record this is what I did on order for Mint to recognise my USB on the BIOS (incorrect method as pointed out earlier on):
(1)At boot up press Enter to interrupt normal start up
(2)Press F1 for BIOS
(3)Go to SECURITY section
(4)Click on SECURE BOOT and turn it OFF
(5)Go to STARTUP section>UEFI/Legacy Boot. Select BOTH
UEFI/Legacy Boot Priority. Select Legacy First
(6) Go to BOOT. Enable BOOT FROM USB DRIVE FIRST
(6)Save and EXIT (F10) and REBOOT
(7) Repeat Step 1
(8) Select F12 to boot from Temporary device
(9) Select your USB Boot Device.
Run/install Linux
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Post by rene »

There is a (10) missing from the last step which makes me uncertain how to interpret things. Are you saying that BIOS-sides you do now have the option to boot from the USB and it's then only after the USB's own boot menu that things... hang, or crash, or reboot, or whatever? Because that would make it a very different issue.
psicop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psicop »

1. It boots from USB when LEGACY is enabled FIRST otherwise it just hangs and goes back to start up screen so I have to press F1 to enter the BIOS and remove the UEFI boot priority.
2. Linux is successfully installed. PROBLEM is:
3. Grub menu is missing. I can live with that to be honest but I want to install another distro.
4. Mint loads fine without having to press F12 to enter the boot menu at all.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

A previous point (0) would be the way you have created that USB. It is not mentioned on any post. Only rene pointed to a thread where it is clear OP created USB with Rufus, GPT partition scheme option to ensure it is an UEFI device to boot in UEFI only mode.

In that case you will see only an UEFI USB option if UEFI only (sure) and Both (maybe) boot modes and wont see any option for USB if Legacy only boot mode. No lost possible, if see an USB option it will be booted in UEFI mode.

Other options with Rufus would be
- MBR partitioning scheme for BIOS Legacy only systems. In that case USB wont be shown if set boot mode UEFI only and will be shown only one time as a BIOS legacy USB HDD device if Both or Legacy only boot mode. There will be no lost, that device will boot in BIOS legacy mode but to be sure it is worth to set boot mode Legacy only.

-MBR partition scheme for both UEFI compatible systems and BIOS Legacy systems. Many tools create USB is such MBR UEFI compatible partitioning scheme including Linux Mint tool.
In last case, in most UEFI system with CSM enabled, Linux Live USB because of its hybrid boot would be shown twice: one as EUFI USB (EUFI boot)) and the other as USB HDD (BIOS legacy boot). So you can decide how to install from boot menu. Also you can decide if you want to install in UEFI or BIOS legacy mode setting such only boot mode and then you will see in boot menu only one USB option.

In your case boot mode both/legacy only/UEFI only together with CSM has not sense for me 'cause Legacy or UEFI only boot modes need CSM to be disabled and "both" needs CSM to be enabled. Both together with CSM enable is redundant.

Maybe this is the problem if you want to see both UEFI USB HDD and USB HDD (BIOS) options for hybrid devices as Linux live USB in boot menu. Setting Boot mode to Both, i would try disabling CSM to see efect on F12 USB options.

Taking into account settings you are describing, if there is only an USB HDD option in first place in F12 menu it is clear for me you will boot that Linux live USB in BIOS Legacy mode and install in such way.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:20 am, edited 31 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Post by rene »

psicop wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:26 am
1. It boots from USB when LEGACY is enabled FIRST otherwise it just hangs and goes back to start up screen so I have to press F1 to enter the BIOS and remove the UEFI boot priority.
2. Linux is successfully installed. PROBLEM is:
3. Grub menu is missing. I can live with that to be honest but I want to install another distro.
4. Mint loads fine without having to press F12 to enter the boot menu at all.
OK, thanks for being explicit. Yes, it's normal that the Grub menu doesn't show automatically if you do not dual-boot (yet). You have it show up by holding down Left-Shift at the point that the boot starts loading from disk (or maybe by tapping Esc at that same point; latter's normal for UEFI systems but as far as I right now recall only when also booting it in UEFI mode).

You can force Grub to show up, but don't bother yet: the menu will be present automagically when you update it after installing that second distribution.
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Post by rene »

.... but rereading the thread it seems that you are not in fact describing another situation than initially. You appear to be capable of booting the stick in legacy mode and if it's now the case that you just want Linux to show up in the BIOS because you think you need to have it to be able to dual-boot with another distribution, such is not the case: as mentioned initially, Grub is what is in that first sector of the boot disk that the BIOS in legacy mode loads and executes and will arrange for possibility to boot either distribution (assuming both use Grub, of course).

I.e., as far as I can now interpret the want, you just use F12 to boot into the USB stick installer for that other distribution in legacy mode, install it alongside Mint, and have either its or Mint's copy of Grub arrange for the boot menu and the possibility to boot into either system.

If the want is still different than at least I would again need you to be more explicit about what it is and what you perceive the problem to be.
AndyMH
Level 18
Level 18

Post by AndyMH »

If you have
  • set BIOS to UEFI only
  • turned off CSM
  • turned off secure boot
and it won't boot, then I suspect the stick, either the stick itself or the method you used to burn the iso (which you haven't told us!). You have a working mint? Then use mint's usb image writer to burn the iso to a stick and try again. Thinkpads are one of the most linux friendly laptops around.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
psicop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psicop »

A-ha! It was probably the way I burnt it with Rufus which is why (0) should be listed.

I followed this guide:

https://trendoceans.com/how-to-create-a ... ributions/

However:

You are required to download additional files ‘Idlinux.sys’ and ‘Idlinux.bss’.

This pop-up didn't show up during the process.

Also I chose the Write in ISO Image mode(Recommended). As other online sources didn't choose the second option.

Did I do something wrong?