unable to roll-back latest kernel

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Re: unable to roll-back latest kernel

Post by bearzlos »

SMG wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:26 pm
bearzlos wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:50 pmPlease note that "crash" in this case means I can move my mouse pointer around the screen but clicking anywhere on anything does nothing.
I would consider that a freeze and not a crash. If X Server was crashing, you would not have to do Ctl-Alt-Backspace. You would automatically get kicked back to the login screen. I've seen logs where X Server crashed and that is what the user describes happening.

So your system is not crashing.

Did you ever make the adjustments in your computer's BIOS/UEFI for the freeze situations which are common with early generation Ryzens? Changing the PSU Idle Control to Typical Current Idle which is the first tip on this link Fix system freezing trouble with AMD Ryzen CPU's?
I have not. I will investigate this link and come back a.s.a.p.
Thank you.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

bearzlos wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:51 am
SMG wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:26 pm
bearzlos wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:50 pmPlease note that "crash" in this case means I can move my mouse pointer around the screen but clicking anywhere on anything does nothing.
I would consider that a freeze and not a crash. If X Server was crashing, you would not have to do Ctl-Alt-Backspace. You would automatically get kicked back to the login screen. I've seen logs where X Server crashed and that is what the user describes happening.

So your system is not crashing.

Did you ever make the adjustments in your computer's BIOS/UEFI for the freeze situations which are common with early generation Ryzens? Changing the PSU Idle Control to Typical Current Idle which is the first tip on this link Fix system freezing trouble with AMD Ryzen CPU's?
I have not. I will investigate this link and come back a.s.a.p.
Thank you.
Sorry for the delay getting back to the list. Sadly, the problem with the pooter freezing upon window resizing/moving still exists after following the instructions at the URL suggested immediately above.

I took my pooter to the store that built it 3+ years ago. They updated the BIOS (something well above my pay-grade) and then completed all the steps in the suggested URL except that step 1 was not possible. They could not find a PSU Idle Control setting in the BIOS to change it to Typical Current Idle.

The motherboard is a Gigbyte GA-AB350M-D3H.

So I just do not know where to go next with this problem.

As an aside (related?), for weeks the pooter has also experienced repeated "stalls" where two or more of the four CPUs (sometimes all four) pin at 100% while doing nothing more than entering an URL into the browser bar. When that happens keystrokes often do not register until the CPUs settle back.

Is this pooter exhibiting signs of a death spiral?

Thanks, everyone.
Bearzlos
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bearzlos wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:54 pmI took my pooter to the store that built it 3+ years ago. They updated the BIOS (something well above my pay-grade) and then completed all the steps in the suggested URL except that step 1 was not possible. They could not find a PSU Idle Control setting in the BIOS to change it to Typical Current Idle.

The motherboard is a Gigbyte GA-AB350M-D3H.
I pulled up what I believe is the correct manual GA-AB350M-D3H: User's Manual and I do not see any settings like that. I am familiar with some of the settings as they apply to Intel CPUs, but not AMD CPUs so it seems we have exhausted that idea.
bearzlos wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:54 pmSo I just do not know where to go next with this problem.

As an aside (related?), for weeks the pooter has also experienced repeated "stalls" where two or more of the four CPUs (sometimes all four) pin at 100% while doing nothing more than entering an URL into the browser bar. When that happens keystrokes often do not register until the CPUs settle back.
Let's try a newer kernel and see if that helps.

Instructions for upgrading to the 5.11 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 5.11 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

bearzlos wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:54 pmSo I just do not know where to go next with this problem.

• Open Update Manager.
  • Make sure 5.11 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
[/quote]

Installed. Testing. Will report. Thank you.
bearzlos
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Re: unable to roll-back latest kernel -- SOLVED MULTIPLE ISSUES

Post by bearzlos »

bearzlos wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:32 pm

• Open Update Manager.
Installed. Testing. Will report. Thank you.
bearzlos
[/quote]

Things seem to be much better!! :D
I took the pooter to the shop that built it and they updated the BIOS. That plus the older-Ryzen -- newer kernel compatibility correction suggestions offered in another post did not fix my problems. So, I then used SMG's suggestion above to update the kernel to 5.11 and then the immediately offered update to that kernel.

Thank you, SMG! After three days of testing the frustrating window resizing and moving problem seems to be gone. Firefox and Chrome have been stable. I'm keeping my fingers (flippers) crossed that things will stay stable and I'll no longer have to resort to multiple ctl>alt>backspace to get to my login screen.

The only issue remaining is an occasional "stall" when one or more processors peak, the mouse's arrowhead cursor stops moving, and I can't keystroke letters. This seems to come and go without any pattern I can detect. Once the processors drop from peak things are OK.

So I'm very happy that except for this "stalling" for a second or two Mint 20.2 is working very nicely.

Thanks again to everyone for your expertise and time.
Bearzlos
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: unable to roll-back latest kernel -- SOLVED MULTIPLE ISSUES

Post by SMG »

bearzlos wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:38 pmThings seem to be much better!! :D
Good to hear. :)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”