No display during or after boot [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: No display during or after boot

Post by SMG »

Degunuts wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:01 pm Hm, the display WAS running slightly off (59.9999~ hz instead of 60) but I doubt that was the issue. As for the drivers, I haven’t installed any off the amd website, no. Especially not ROCm— this is my first encounter with that term in any sense, much less on my own system!
Okay. Maybe those lines have something to do with you running the 5.13 kernel on your specific hardware.

This is the first time I've heard anyone describe the screen freezing, but still being able to move the mouse and type on the keyboard. Usually, the screen either goes dark or the peripherals do not work.

What is the output of xrandr? That output should give the preferred and actual resolutions of the monitor.

At this time I'm leaning toward this being a hardware related issue. Check to make sure both ends of the monitor cable are secure and tight.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Degunuts
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Degunuts »

Xrandr said I should’ve been using 59.94hz, so I switched to that. Otherwise all is well. I will say, for whatever reason it has been REMARKABLY more stable in the past couple of hours barring a reboot I had to do (not related to the freezing,) so if this install I’ve got going finishes I’m probably going to leave it while I go grab dinner and get back to you. Just something to note, I did download AMD’s most recent drivers just because I wasn’t comfortable with it saying that I had ROCm, so that’s something to take into account.

Update: Frankly I don’t actually know if the driver install went off properly since lutris threw up an error about amdgpu-dkms, but dang it it seems to be working! I’ll get back to you after eating dinner.
Last edited by Degunuts on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Degunuts wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:59 pm Just something to note, I did download AMD’s most recent drivers just because I wasn’t comfortable with it saying that I had ROCm, so that’s something to take into account.
I do not believe the latest drivers work with the 5.13 kernel, but it seems I didn't get this typed fast enough and you tried doing it. A dkms error would correspond with trying to install the drivers on a kernel they were not designed for.

Did you take a Timeshift snapshot before installing them? They do not always uninstall properly, but maybe the uninstall will work.
Degunuts
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Degunuts »

Hmmm, I’ll switch to the other kernel when I get back back home. I did try to take a timeshift snapshot a while back, but it froze towards the end so I let it run a bit longer to hopefully let it finish if the system was still working. I’ll get back to you in a bit.
Degunuts
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Degunuts »

Alright, just got home and switched to the other kernel, I’ll keep you posted on if it’s more stable here.
Degunuts
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Degunuts »

Welp, it seems 5.4 is less stable even with the issue of the drivers no longer being a problem. Do you think it would be worth it to just reinstall it and it alone (not dual booting it with windows) that wouldn’t be hard to do, and if you think it might help, I’d be more than happy to do so. You’re could be right with it being a hardware issue as I know at least the motherboard is a solid 5+ years old, but that’s not something I could readily remedy at the moment, and windows runs just fine even under intense load, so I’m not sure.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Degunuts wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:12 pm Welp, it seems 5.4 is less stable even with the issue of the drivers no longer being a problem.
You posted a topic titled "No display" but now you are taking about the computer not being stable. At this point, I am not clear what the issue is exactly which means I am not sure what to recommend.

What does "less stable" mean? To me, that means the computer is crashing and has to be restarted. However, what you have described earlier is the computer seems to freeze?

Is Fast Start-up turned off in Windows? How to turn off fast startup or hybrid sleep in Windows
Degunuts wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:12 pmDo you think it would be worth it to just reinstall it and it alone (not dual booting it with windows) that wouldn’t be hard to do, and if you think it might help, I’d be more than happy to do so.
I do not see a reason why it would. If you had better stability with the 5.13 kernel then using that without all the other "extras" with regards to drivers might be a good idea of what to try next. If you provide the output of inxi -Gxxx I think we would be able to tell if the AMD driver from the website is installed or not.
Degunuts
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Degunuts »

Sorry for the poor wording. When I say “stable,” I just mean that it’s usable in the sense that it’s not frozen and I can actively do things on it, aka it doesn’t need a reboot for whatever reason. Throwback to my amateur crypto mining days, I suppose. I’ll clear all the extras and retry the 5.13 kernel and post the results in a bit.
Degunuts
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Degunuts »

Well, I ended up reinstalling just to wipe the slate clean for a fair comparison (and just to remove the residue of however many reboots, hard or soft) and after updating the kernel it’s been crash-free for at least 30 minutes to an hour so far! It’s still installing packages and I’ll get that log to you ASAP, but so far, so good.
Degunuts
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Degunuts »

here you go:
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
vendor: XFX Pine driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 06:00.0
chip ID: 1002:67df
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.41.0
5.13.0-22-generic LLVM 12.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes
Degunuts
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Degunuts »

Yknow, I don’t want to jinx myself but SO FAR this installation looks good! It’s been about an hour and a half now and it’s been running really well. Fingers crossed that it was just being fussy about something I fixed accidentally!

Update: crossed my fingers for a good reason. It just hard froze— still an impressive run for what I’ve been getting, so progress seems to be being made. The last thing on the journalctl link was about my wifi adapter though, the one which happens to not be working (thank you, netgear) so maybe it’s playing dirty. Going to fiddle with some BIOS stuff then leave it for the night to see if it freezes again.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The parts I have highlighted indicate this driver and renderer came from the kernel.

Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
vendor: XFX Pine driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 06:00.0
chip ID: 1002:67df
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.41.0
5.13.0-22-generic LLVM 12.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes
Degunuts
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Degunuts »

I think it might be good! I left it on overnight downloading ffxiv and it didn’t freeze up! I won’t mark this as solved for a bit just in case but it’s looking like the only thing left to do is figure out how to get my network adapter working…

Update: well the network adapter caused it to freeze, so guess I’m just going to work on finding a driver with it disconnected but OTHERWISE it’s looking good.

update 2: ran a command I found online (can't remember what it was) and changed from usb3 to usb2 and both my wifi adapter and pc are working fine. Marking as solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”